What is SAE Supermileage
- Engineering students design and build a fuel-efficient vehicle that will achieve the highest possible miles per gallon in competition while also achieving other tests: roll bar stress, braking, maneuverability, egress, and visibility.
- Students design and build the vehicle from aerodynamic, mechanical, and functional standpoints with the use of innovative materials, tools, and technology.
- Students compete against around 30 teams in an international competition.
- Tasked to generate financial support for their project and manage their educational priorities.
- Students must function as a team to conceptualize, design, build, test, promote, and race within the limits of race rules.
Benefits of SAE Supermileage
- Apply classroom concepts to real-world problems. Statics, dynamics, materials, electronics: it all has a place in SAE Supermileage.
- Collaboration builds a better product. We work together to design a car, solve problems, and represent our university on an international stage.
- Explore entrepreneurship through a business-focused vehicle design. Pitch sponsors, network with industry, and develop timelines.
2019 Team Leaders
Body / Steering & Braking
Powertrain / Electrical
|Liping Liu, PhD