Registering with the Department of State

The U.S. State Department sponsors a website (, which provides important information to U.S. citizens traveling abroad. One of the features that the website offers is the ability to register your travel and foreign residential information. This information is utilized in the case of an emergency, should the U.S. State Department need to contact you. They provide travel warnings, information on areas to avoid, large events in the area, and activities that Americans should be cautious of. We recommend that all study abroad participants register their information through this website.

You will need the following information to register:
Passport number, place of issue, date of issues and date of expiration
Destination date of arrival and date of departure

To register, follow these directions:

  • Go to
  • Select "International Travel for U.S. Citizens".
  • Under "Tips for Traveling Abroad" on the left side of the screen, select "Travel Registration".
  • On the right side of the screen, follow the "Register my Trip" link.
  • Follow the registration instructions provided.

Contact us:

A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center, C405