Football Tailgating Policies for Home Games
Lawrence Technological University permits tailgating in an authorized location prior to home football games. Tailgating is defined as parking a motorized vehicle and consuming food and beverages, which may include alcoholic beverages, outside the sports event area. Parking Lots A and G are designated lots for tailgating.
The safety of our students and visitors is of the utmost importance to the University; therefore the following guidelines are established for tailgating.
1. Tailgating must occur only in Parking Lots A and G, which will be clearly marked by signs.
2. Tailgating cannot start before four hours prior to the beginning of any home football game and must end no later than the scheduled kick-off.
3. Alcoholic beverages are limited to single-serving, non-glass containers. No common sources (e.g., kegs, beer balls or other large quantity containers) are permitted.
4. Serving alcohol to or consumption of alcohol by minors (those under 21 years of age) is a violation of state law and Lawrence Technological University’s Code of Conduct. Michigan law states that underage drinking is illegal everywhere—on public or private property, indoors or out—including tailgating.
5. Individuals consuming alcohol may be asked to provide legal identification and proof of age to a campus safety officer, student affair staff or local law enforcement officer.
6. Carrying an open container of alcohol on public streets or sidewalks is illegal, regardless of age. When guests leave the designated tailgate area, they must leave alcoholic beverages in the designated tailgate area.
7. Playing of games that involve consumption of alcohol or use of alcohol-related paraphernalia are prohibited, including but not limited to beer pong, flip cup, shot gunning, etc.
8. No alcoholic beverages may be taken into any athletic facility or into the sports event area.
9. Rules regarding tailgating will be posted on the Lawrence Technological University’s web site and a flyer stating those rules will be distributed to guests who enter the designated tailgating area.
10. Grilling is permitted. Please follow these guidelines:
- a. Propane containers must be secured to the grill or in a crate
b. Coals must be fully extinguished and cold, then placed into the appropriate aluminum cans or a clean noncombustible container for disposal
c. Fire pits and smokers are prohibited