Building a Supportive Department Culture
Presentation by Matthew Cole, Ph.D. Psychology Program Director, Lawrence Tech
Conflict resolution is a process of working through opposing views in order to reach a common goal or mutual purpose.
To be an effective communicator, we must listen.
- 55% of communication is nonverbal.
- 38% is in the tone of the voice.
- 7% of effective communication is the words.
- Consider changing how you react to the person
- Stay flexible
- Check out the facts first
- Act with respect for yourself and others
- Own your feelings – making "I" statements
- Focus on solving the problem, not placing blame
- There’s no time like the present
- Change how you react to the person