The following information is provided as a general guide for international students at Lawrence Technological University who are thinking about pursuing job opportunities in the United States. These guidelines are provided to inform international students about their opportunities and should not be considered as a conclusive resource in defining these options.

International students who are considering initiating a job search are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment with a Career Services staff member and/or with the International Programs office to discuss these opportunities at length.

On-Campus Employment Opportunities

In some cases, international students are eligible to apply for on-campus employment opportunities. There are only a limited number of these positions available each year and competition may be intense. Therefore, students should not rely upon obtaining part-time employment to fund college expenses, but rather they should have sufficient funds prior to their arrival at Lawrence Technological to support their educational objectives. To find out more about these opportunities, please visit the Career Services office.

Off-Campus Employment Opportunities

Working off-campus in part-time employment positions while enrolled at Lawrence Technological University is not permitted for international students holding a J or F type Visa according to the regulations set forth by the United States Department of Justice. However, two forms of practical training are available to international students who are close to completing their degree. The International Programs Office provides the following information as a general description of these types of practical training. To find out more about this type of training and how to apply for it, please contact our office at 248-204-4100.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

International students who are required by their degree program to obtain practical experience may be eligible for this type of training in a full-time or part-time capacity. To find out whether or not this is a requirement of your degree program, please check with your academic advisor or your department.        

Curricular Practical Training comes with no time limits; therefore, students may engage in this training for as long as it is required. However if students participate in FULL-TIME Curricular Practical Training for more than twelve months, they will not be eligible for the second type of practical training or Optional Practical Training.  Students must also complete their Curricular Practical Training prior to their graduation from Lawrence Technological University. Please note if you are using the CPT, you must cease on-campus employment at this point.

How to Apply for CPT  

If you are an international student who wishes to participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT), here are some important rules that you must follow.  Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is available to F-1 students who have maintained their status for one year. Students MUST attend two full-time semesters before being eligible for employment benefits on CPT.  F-1 students can work off campus with authorization of the U.S. government if this work is part of the student’s curriculum (for example a Coop or a directed study course) To be eligible for CPT you must be enrolled in a course that will provide the credits for your working experience.

Students taking ESL classes are not eligible for CPT. CPT must be directly related to the field of study, is usually one semester, and must enter the student’s academic record. Students are eligible for part time or full time CPT. Part time CPT is limited to 20 hours per week.

To apply for Curricular Practical Training you must :

  • Get a recommendation from your adviser. Your adviser should fill out the appropriate portion of the Curricular Practical Training Application Form
  • Fill out the appropriate Student portion of the Curricular Practical Training Application Form.
  • Bring the completed form to the International Students’ Adviser for authorization.

Please be advised to allow at least a one week notice for processing. To obtain the Authorization Form, please contact the Office of International Programs at 248.204.4100 or download the form here.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Three months prior to an international student's graduation, he or she may apply for Optional Practical Training. This practical training lasts for a period of twelve months and starts when the international student receives permission from USCIS. Students do not need to have an employment offer upon receipt of this permission, however, per new government regulations, only 90 days of unemployment are allowable.

When and How to Apply for OPT

If you are an international student who wishes to participate in Optional Practical Training (OPT) after graduation, there are some important rules you must follow. 

So that you can receive your employment authorization on time, you should complete the steps outlined below.

You must apply for OPT at the International Programs Office 90-120 days BEFORE the COMPLETION DATE OF YOUR STUDIES.

Pick up the I-765 form, the I-538 form, the equivalent sample forms and the photograph instruction sheet at the International Programs Office, or you can download them here. Complete the forms properly and make an appointment with the International Student Advisor by calling 248.204. 4100.

Students who live on campus and are planning to move out may use a different address or the International Student Affairs address as shown on the sample forms.  Canadian students must use the University address and will be notified when the arrival notice and the EAD card (Employment Authorization Document) arrives.

Bring the following documents to the appointment with the International Programs Advisor:

  • Completed I-765 form (your eligibility category is c-3-I);
  • Completed I-538 form. Select your own OPT starting date within 30 days from your date of completion of studies;
  • Two color standard passport photos with name and admission number written on the back;  (do not trim the photos as the image will be scanned).
  • A check drawn on a U.S. bank or money order
  • Photocopies of all prior I-20 forms
  • Copies of front and back of your I-94 form

The International Programs Advisor will confirm your eligibility before providing you with guidance as to a recommendation on the OPT forms.

You are responsible for mailing the forms to the Service Center. We recommend that you mail them by a traceable system such as registered U.S. mail, UPS or Federal Express.   

Within 2 to 3 weeks you will receive a receipt notice. Keep this receipt that shows the LIN number. You can check the status of your application on-line at the website of and check the case on-line.

Contact us:

Taubman Student Service Center, C405
248.204.4115 fax