1. Maintain your immigration status

    All international students who have entered the United States on non-immigrant visas are subject to federal regulations that do not affect United States citizens and permanent residents. It is extremely important for you to pay close attention to your non-immigrant visa status and ask the Office of International Student Affairs for information. These special federal regulations affect foreign students and their families in such areas as taxes, employment, study, and travel. Therefore, you should be aware of the restrictions imposed upon you by your particular visa status.

    You are required to attend the international student orientation before you register for classes.  Information on dates will be provided in your acceptance packet.

    Please remember that under United States immigration law, the ultimate responsibility for the maintenance of visa status is yours as an international student studying or working in the United States.

    Please do not hesitate to contact the Office of International Student Affairs should you have any questions regarding your immigration status. It is usually in your best interest to contact this office before contacting the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), as we are often able to answer your questions.

    A word of warning: Please do not rely on your friends, professors, or colleagues for advice regarding your immigration status. Each individual case, in the context of past events and future plans, will need special treatment. Therefore, asking how someone else accomplished a particular immigration task often will not help in your situation and can provide misleading directions with unfortunate consequences.

  2. Purchase and maintain health insurance and each year, turn in the "Health Insurance Verification Form" to the Office of the Registrar.

  3. Do not work without proper employment authorization.  See the Office of International Programs for details.

  4. File Federal and Michigan income tax forms required of all international students whether or not you earned income in the United States.

  5. Change of Address Notification: U.S. Federal regulations require non-immigrants present in the U.S. for more than 30 days to complete and submit form AR-11(Alien's Change of Address Card) to Bureau of Citizenship Immigration Services (BCIS) within ten days of changing their name or U.S. address.  The AR-11 form is available in the International Student Affairs.

  6. Carry your I-94 card with you at all times. According to Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act all aliens 18 years of age and older must carry his/her "evidence of registration document at all times". In the case of an international student, the registration document is the I-94 card.


Contact us:

Taubman Student Service Center, C405
248.204.4115 fax