Dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (under 21 years of age) of an F-1/J-1 student. If the dependent is outside of the U.S. then they must obtain an F2/J2 visa, if they are in the US please view the Change of Status tab.
- May enter the U.S. with/after the F-1 student, but never before
- Cannot be employed
- Must have proper travel documents each time they travel outside the U.S.
- Cannot pursue a full course of study
- Can study part time - ESL or academics
- Status is dependent on principal status holder
Inviting an F-2 Dependent
F-1 students may invite a spouse or unmarried children to join them in the US by the providing following documents to OIP.
- Complete a Dependent Request Form
- Evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc):
- $7,000 for spouse
- $5,000 for each child
- Spouse – copy of marriage certificate (MUST be in English, or certified translation)
- Child – copy of birth certificate (MUST be in English, or certified translation)
The Office of International Programs will prepare a dependent I-20 marked "for use by dependents". The dependent(s) will then use the I-20 to apply for an F-2 dependent visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country.
If the F-2 dependent changes his or her status successfully to an F-1, the F-1 principal visa holder must have his/her name and dependent expenses removed from the form I-20.
A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center, C405