Below are some fun and interesting facts about Michigan and some interesting Michigan Web Sites.
- Time Zone: All of lower Michigan and most of the Upper Peninsula are on Eastern Standard Time.
- The name Michigan is derived from the Indian words, “Michi-gama” meaning large lake.
- The state is often called the “Great Lakes State,” “Wolverine State,” or the “Water Winter Wonderland.”
- The capital of Michigan was dedicated at Lansing in 1879.
- Michigan’s Natural Features: Michigan has 57,022 square miles of land; 1,194 square miles of inland water and 38,575 square miles of Great Lakes water area. The state is 456 miles in length and 386 miles wide. There are 11,037 inland lakes in Michigan.
- The state of Michigan has five professional sports teams:
The Detroit Lions (Football)
Ford Field, Detroit
The Detroit Pistons (Men’s Basketball)
Palace of Auburn Hills
Detroit Red Wings (Hockey)
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
Detroit Tigers (Baseball)
Comerica Park, Detroit
A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center