Network Operations Engineer
Posted Thursday, July 14, 2022
JOB TITLE: Network Operation Engineer
POSITION NUMBER: NE9999
HIRING SUPERVISOR: Director Technology and Information Security
DEPARTMENT: IT Services
We are looking for a Network Operation Engineer to work with our team to design, configure, and maintain our network. This job will require someone who can both work independently as well as collaboratively as a team to ensure reliability and resiliency for our infrastructure.
- Plan, design, and implement IT infrastructure environment for current and future needs.
- Maintain and administer network infrastructure including Firewall, VPN, Switches, and other physical network hardware.
- Monitor performance and status of network resources to ensure proper functioning of systems.
- Troubleshoot, resolve, and communicate networking issues to other employees and management.
- Keep systems current and perform preventative maintenance services to mitigate risk and obsolesce.
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies, security, and networking best practices to offer the best solutions and protection to IT infrastructure.
- Perform testing and emergency response for ongoing network operations.
- Create and maintain network diagrams and other system documentation
- Plan, develop and implement policies and procedures for networking and data center operations.
- Evaluate new software and hardware to determine usefulness and compatibility with existing infrastructure.
- Identify areas of improvements within existing infrastructure.
- Identify and manage key operational risks related to IT infrastructure with emphasis on business continuity, security, and compliance.
- Manage Data Center environmental components such as power, heating and cooling, and fire detection and suppression.
- Coordinate recycling of retired electronics to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Analyze and maintain network usage, traffic flows, and access controls
- Effectively communicate to colleagues related to the position's responsibilities including progress of work and ensure that standards for quantity and quality of work are met.
- Collaborate with colleagues to determine impact of proposed changes on computer operations and service to users.
- Work with LTU vendors and senior IT staff to obtain and make budget conscious recommendations to maximize technical capabilities and meet IT infrastructure needs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and as necessary for departmental success.
SKILLS and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of previous work experience as a Network Operations Engineer or similar role.
- Advanced understanding LAN/WAN fundamental concepts.
- Experience and understanding of key networking hardware, communication and routing protocols.
- Advanced experience of the network operating systems (ExtremeOS & HPE ArubaOS).
- Experience with Enterprise Wireless Networking.
- Experience with Unix/Linux based systems.
- Experience supporting Enterprise Firewall and VPNs (Palo Alto & Global Protect).
- Experience with network analysis tools.
- Knowledge of internet and network security.
- Experience capturing requirements, developing plans in alignment to technical and functional requirements, and managing the testing, integration, and release of enterprise network services.
- Experience providing networking solutions, including requirements gathering, architecture design, testing, implementation, documentation, and operational support.
- Ability to solve problems by identifying causes, gathering and processing relevant information, and recommending solutions.
- Have the ability to develop plans that consider importance, urgency, risks, and the best interest for the University.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to approach problems with creativity and a collaborative mindset.
- Works well both in a team environment and independently.
- Independent initiative to identify improvements and prevent problems.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Bachelor's degree in Computer related field or equivalent; and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in a similar environment.
Lawrence Technological University (LTU) conducts pre-employment screening on initial candidates for all positions, which may include but is not limited to, a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, license, certifications, and/or verification of work history.
Lawrence Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.