Skip to main content

A visa is an official document issued by an embassy or consulate abroad allowing a person from a country outside of the US to apply to enter the United States. Click here to see what the estimated wait time for your city according to the US Department of State. A visa can be either a multicolored stamp or a computerized document with a picture of the person for whom it was issued. It is important to remember that a visa does not automatically guarantee admission into the United States. If you do not have the right type of visa for your immigration status, you will not be allowed to enter the United States. There are two types of visas that Lawrence Technological University international students use to enter the United States:

F-1 or F-3 Visa - Non Immigrant Student
To obtain an F-1 or F-3 Visa, a student needs an I-20 issued by Lawrence Tech as evidence that you are accepted to be a student. The I-20 form is used to apply for an F visa at U.S. consulates and is also required if you leave the US and need to re-enter. The F-3 Visa is for Canadian students who wish to commute to the U.S. to take courses part-time at LTU. 

J-1 Visa - Non Immigrant Exchange Visitor
To obtain a J-1 Visa, a student needs a DS-2019 issued by Lawrence Tech. It works similarly to the I-20 in that it is needed to apply for a J visa at U.S. consulates abroad and is also required if you leave the U.S. and need to re-enter.

Both F-1 and J-1 students may bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the U.S. for the duration of time that they are studying at LTU, provided they are financially supported.

Helpful Resources

There is a lot of important information to know about being an international student in the United States. The United States government also has specific information that you should read before beginning the application process. 

  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States
  • U.S. Department of State: Obtaining a U.S. Visa
  • Education USA also has a vast collection of information for students interested in studying in the United States. They may even have an advising center near you where you can find out more about the steps to becoming a student in the United States.