faq header

Is an English as a Second Language (ESL) program available?
Yes, students are welcome to apply to the ESL Institute at Lawrence Tech. Additionally, students applying to an academic program that score below a 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, 79 on the internet-based TOEFL, or 6.5 on the IELTS will be added to the ESL Institute to gain the required proficiency prior to beginning an academic program. 
Is it an LTU requirement to have medical insurance?
It is University policy for all international students and scholars to carry medical insurance while they are studying in the United States.
Can I work while I am studying at LTU?
According to federal law, off-campus employment is not permitted for students with J or F visas. However, two forms of practical training are available to international students close to completing their degree. Curricular Practical Training (CPT) has no time limit and may be available for students required to obtain practical experience by their degree program. CPT authorization requires that a student complete two full-time semesters (fall and spring) to be eligible to apply for CPT. Optional Practical Training (OPT) can be applied for three months prior to graduation and lasts for one year.
Are there on-campus jobs available while I'm studying at LTU?
In some cases, international students are eligible to apply for on-campus employment opportunities. There are only a limited number of these positions each year and competition may be high, so students are discouraged from relying on campus employment for funding.
Is the SAT or ACT required for me to be admitted?
No, international applicants are not required to submit the SAT or ACT score reports. However, it is highly recommended as applicants cannot be reviewed for academic scholarships without these scores. If you would like to be considered for scholarships we encourage you sit for one of these exams.
Is there an application deadline?
Yes, all materials relevant to your application must be submitted no later than 90 days prior to the start of the term. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed for the desired date of entry, but may be reviewed for acceptance to a later semester.
What is the weather like at LTU?
Average temperatures in Southfield are cold in the winter (16-33° F/-9-1 C) and hot (62-86° F/17-30 C) in the summer, so you should bring clothing to cover these ranges. Current weather in Southfield, MI
How do I get a visa to come to the US?
You need to go to the United States consulate in your country after you make an appointment and bring your LTU acceptance letter, the appropriate forms to apply for a visa from the US government, a passport, and receipt showing payment of all of the required fees. The Obtaining a Visa portion of our website has more detailed information about the requirements and process of applying for your visa.
What kind of visa do I need?
LTU issues the I-20 form to apply for F visa status (non-immigrant student) and the DS-2019 form to apply for J visa status (non-immigrant exchange visitor). Most students applying to Lawrence Tech require an I-20 form for F visa status. For more detailed information, please look at the portion of our website about visas.
If I already have a visa, can I study at LTU?
If your visa allows you to take classes, you can study at LTU. Individuals with visitor status (B-1, B-2, WB, WT) are not legally allowed to take classes in the US. If you are already in the US and would like to change your status to F-1 or J-1 to study at LTU, you need to fill out an I-539 form. Please note the status change from B-1 and B-2 visas is not supported by the Office of International Programs at Lawrence Tech.
If I have a green card, are there any special requirements for me?
If you have a green card, you need to complete the admission requirements for international students only if you took courses at a foreign college or university.  Otherwise, you follow the regular admission requirements outlined on the application.
Are there trips and programs to acclimate me to the area and culture?
Yes, there will be some organized programs to help international students at LTU adjust to U.S. culture. The Office of International Programs plans events to help international students meet other students and learn about American culture while studying at Lawrence Tech. 
Is there an international advisor?
Yes, Lawrence Tech has a group of advisors to help with the needs an international student might have. Stop by the Office of International Programs to find out more about the services provided, or visit their website: www.ltu.edu/international/.
Do I need to bring a computer to LTU?
No, Lawrence Tech provides wireless laptops, and tablet PCs to all undergraduate students through our LTuZone. Students pay a deposit that is refunded upon return of the laptop. Graduate students can pay to lease a laptop if laptops are available.
What do I need to do to drive in the US?
Details on the procedures to apply for a Michigan Driver's License are available in the Office of International Programs. Students are not eligible to apply for a driver's license upon arrival and will need to wait a few week to be eligible to apply.
When can I start taking classes?
Classes begin the end of August for fall term, the beginning of January for spring term, and the beginning of May for summer term. You can look at the academic calendar for specific dates and deadlines.


Contact Us



Office Hours

8 a.m.–7:30 p.m.

8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

8 a.m.–6 p.m.

8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.



A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center

Campus Map