Military Student Aid

Here you will find information on student financial aid resources for students interested in pursuing careers in the military and for veterans and their dependents.

If you have any questions about the financial aid available to you, trained and qualified financial aid advisers are available. These individuals can provide loan counseling and guidance on any other sources of available financial aid, and they are available before offering, recommending, arranging, signing-up, dispersing, or enrolling n Federal or Private student loan programs. Please feel free to contact the DOD Certified Compliance officer, Scott Kujawa at or 248.204.2122 To learn more about available financial aid or the timeline of applying for aid, click here.


Affordable Colleges Online: Higher Education Affordability for Veterans
Affordable Colleges: Veterans Education & Resources


Federal Benefits for Veterans

The Veterans Administration provides a wide range of benefits to veterans.  
Click here for more information: Veteran Benefits


National Guard Benefits

Click here for information on benefits: Army National Guard


Air Force ROTC

Click here for information on benefits: Air Force ROTC


Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund can provide temporary assistance for emergencies or hardships for qualifying veterans and their families. To learn more about this program and eligibility requirements, visit Michigan Veterans Trust Fund.


Additional Information 

Today service members have close to $50k for college – and veterans are entering college at record numbers (now the key is to stay in college). Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the GI Bill:

Q: How can I transfer my education benefits to my dependents?
A: Please contact the DMDC/DEERS Support Office (DSO): (800) 538-9552.

Q: How can I find out how many unused months of benefits I have to transfer?
A: call the VA Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 press “0″ and “0″ again to be connected to a Live Case Manager

Q: Do I have to extend to transfer my benefits?
A: If you meet the “Special Provisions” for Retirement Eligibility then your Service Obligation would be determine for you after you make the transfer on the TEB site.

Q: Where can I find my instructions once I’ve been approved?
A: the instructions from the GI Bill Support Team will be sent to your AKO account, no other email address

Q: What is a SOU?
A: It is a Statement of Understanding for clarification of the service obligation for the Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferability
(example: If the service obligation is from the date of the transfer request in Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB), the website used to transfer the benefit. If a Soldier will reach 20 years of qualifying service on 5 September 2010, they will incur a two year obligation from the date of the transfer request in TEB. Therefore, if they put in their TEB request on 16 July 2010, they must have a service obligation of no less than 16 July 2012 before the request can be approved.

Q: What forms do I fill out on the VONAPP to complete the transfer?
A: the VA FORM 22-1990e (Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits) and also attach Soldier Members supporting documents from T10 deployments (DD 214′s, Mobilization & REFRAD Orders)

Q: My child is 21 and shaded out in DEERS on the TEB transfer site how do I get them back eligible to receive my education benefits?
A: go to the VA REP at your school of attendance and request a VA FORM 22-1999 (Certification of Enrollment) to Include the student’s full name and current address in items 1 and 3. The VA needs to maintain current address information because we not only mail the student’s checks to that address, but any correspondence from us will also be sent to that address.

Item 2 is for the VA file number. If the file number is not the student’s social security number, then enter the student’s social security number in Item 4.

If the student is a dependent under Chapter 35, then the file number or claim number is that of the veteran, along with the suffix number of the dependent. The student’s social security number would then go in Item 4

Everything on the form is self explanatory….

Q: Where do I send my application?
A: Look at your application for the page that list the VA Regional Processing Offices (Eastern, Central, Western & Southern Regions) and send your application to the VA that serves the State that your school is located in

Q: How can I locate an accredited approved school through the VA?
A: go to this website VA Educational Resources then click on “Search for approved schools” click on the state that’s is on the map where your school is located and then scroll through the list for your school of choice

Q: How can I calculate my percentage?
A: gather your DD 214′s and look in section 12 for your start date and end date and calculate the days using a tour calendar then go to “Benefit Calculator”
put in the zip code of the school of attendance and hit the “estimate benefit” button that will calculate your Tuition & Basic Housing Allowance (BAH) not to include the book stipend that is separate

Q: What are some helpful website as far as education is concern?
A:  VA Website

     DoD Transferability Website


     VA Applications