Federal Benefits for Veterans

The Veterans Administration (VA) provides a variety of benefits to military veterans. Veterans should contact the VA with questions concerning eligibility. New programs have also made some reservists and active duty personnel eligible for benefits!

The amount of the monthly allowance for Lawrence Tech veterans is based on the number of credit hours, the number of dependents and the specific program of qualification. All veterans receiving GI benefits are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress. VA regulations permit only a two-semester probation period unless there are mitigating circumstances as determined by the VA. The University will inform the Veterans Administration and the student when the veteran does not meet academic standards of progress and is no longer eligible for benefits.


Air Force ROTC Scholarships

Eligibility information for the U.S. Air Force ROTC scholarships can be found at this link ROTC.


Army National Guard Tuition Assistance

Eligibility information for the Michigan Army National Guard tuition assistance can be found at this link: National Guard.

For additional information, contact the Veterans Office on campus at 248.204.2280 or enrollmentservices@ltu.edu. The Veterans Office is located at the DTE One Stop Center in the A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center.


Additional Information about Federal Benefits for Veterans

Service members today can earn close to $50K for college – and veterans are entering college at record numbers. Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the GI Bill:

How can I transfer my education benefits to my dependents?
Find information at:

How can I find out how many unused months of benefits I have to transfer?
Call the VA Call Center at 888.442.4551 press “0″ and “0″ again to be connected to a Live Case Manager.

Do I have to extend to transfer my benefits?
If you meet the “Special Provisions” for Retirement Eligibility then your Service Obligation would be determined after you make the transfer on the milConnect website.

Where can I find the DoD approval letter?
Go to the transfer site at http://milconnect.dmdc.mil and a letter will be posted by your status.

Where can I find my instructions once I’ve been approved?
The instructions from the GI Bill Support Team will be sent to your AKO account, no other email address.

What is a SOU?
It is a Statement of Understanding for clarification of the service obligation for the Post 9/11 GI Bill transferability. For example, if the service obligation is from the date of the transfer request in Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB), the website used to transfer the benefit. If a Soldier will reach 20 years of qualifying service on 5 September 2010, they will incur a two year obligation from the date of the transfer request in TEB. Therefore, if they put in their TEB request on 16 July 2010, they must have a service obligation of no less than 16 July 2012 before the request can be approved.

What forms do I fill out on the VONAPP to complete the transfer?
The VA FORM 22-1990e (Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits) and also attach Soldier Members supporting documents from T10 deployments (DD 214′s, Mobilization & REFRAD Orders).

My child is 21 and shaded out in DEERS on the TEB transfer site how do I get them back eligible to receive my education benefits?
Go to the VA rep at your school of attendance and request a VA FORM 22-1999 (Certification of Enrollment) to Include the student’s full name and current address in items 1 and 3. The VA needs to maintain current address information because we not only mail the student’s checks to that address, but any correspondence from us will also be sent to that address.

Item 2 is for the VA file number. If the file number is not the student’s social security number, then enter the student’s social security number in Item 4.

If the student is a dependent under Chapter 35, then the file number or claim number is that of the veteran, along with the suffix number of the dependent. The student’s social security number would then go in Item 4. Everything on the form is self explanatory.

Where do I send my application?
Look at your application for the page that list the VA Regional Processing Offices (Eastern, Central, Western & Southern Regions) and send your application to the VA that serves the State where your school is located.

How can I locate an accredited approved school through the VA?
Go to www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/school_locator.asp then click on “VA's WEAMS Institution Search tool.”

How can I calculate my percentage?
Gather your DD 214′s and look in section 12 for your start date and end date and calculate the days using a tour calendar then go to the Benefit Calculator. 

Enter the zip code of the school of attendance and hit the “estimate benefit” button that will calculate your Tuition & Basic Housing Allowance (BAH) not to include the book stipend that is separate.

What are some helpful website as far as education is concern?
http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp (VA Applications)

These websites are not hosted or operated by Lawrence Technological University.