Air Force ROTC
The Express Scholarship is designed to meet Air Force ROTC officer production requirements in specific fields and year groups. The list of approved fields and year groups varies from time to time and may change periodically without notice.
This program awards Type II (tuition capped at $15,000 per year plus $510 per year for books) scholarships.
The Express Scholarship program is operated on a noncompetitive basis – those who meet the qualifications are awarded the scholarships and do not meet a scholarship selection board. The processing of the scholarship award is completed at the local detachment.
To be eligible to apply for an Express Scholarship, the student must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Pass the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test
- Pass the AFROTC Physical Fitness Test
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative college GPA
- Not already be a contracted scholarship recipient (except those receiving GMCI)
- Meet the age, moral, medical and other scholarship eligibility requirements for Air Force ROTC
- Be majoring in one the fields listed below for your graduation year group
Eligibility Majors and Year
This information is subject to change at any time without notice
Students must be able to graduate with an undergraduate degree before Oct. 1, 2006.
- Electrical Engineering
Students must be able to graduate with an undergraduate degree before Oct. 1, 2005.
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Architectural Engineering
- Astronautical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Students must be able to graduate with an undergraduate degree before Oct. 1, 2004.
- Computer Science
- Operations Research
- All other ABET-accredited Engineering majors
More About ROTC Scholarships
In addition to the Type II Scholarship, all Air Force ROTC Express Scholarship recipients receive a nontaxable monthly stipend. The annual stipend amount ranges from about $2,500 per year to $4,000 per year, depending on the recipient’s enrollment year.
- Scholarship recipients in the Aerospace Studies (AS) 100 class (typically college freshmen) receive a stipend of $250 per month during the school year. AS 200 (typically college sophomores) scholarship cadets receive $300 per month during the school year. AS 300 (typically college juniors) cadets receive $350 per month and AS 400 (typically college seniors) cadets receive $400 per month.
To apply for an Express Scholarship or for more information contact your nearest Air Force ROTC detachment or call 866-4AFROTC. There is more information about ROTC scholarships on www.afrotc.com.