Hua received his BS and MS degrees in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China in 1999 and 2004 respectively; and a PhD degree in computer and electronic engineering from University of Nebraska, Lincoln in 2008. From 2009 to 2010, he has been with the department of Computer and Electronics Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln where he was a postdoctoral research associate and instructor. His research interests include wireless communications, wireless sensor network, digital signal processing and embedded system design.
>> Research Interest
>> Research Awards and Grants
>> Courses Taught
>> Professional Services
Kun Hua received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China in 1999 and 2004 respectively; and the Ph.D. degree in computer and electronic engineering from University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, USA in 2008. From 2009 to 2010, he has been with the department of Computer and Electronics Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln where he was a postdoctoral research associate and instructor. His research interests include wireless communications, wireless sensor network, digital signal processing and embedded system design.
My research interests lie in the areas of wireless communication, digital system, wireless sensor networks, multimedia signal processing, embedded software and hardware.
Research Awards and Grants
- National Science Foundation, S-STEM, “Lawrence Technological University S-STEM: Be a Nuclear Expert in Southeast Michigan”, PI , $598,125.00 funding period: 2012-2018
- “Improvement of Built-in Hands-free Cell Phone Performance”, funded by Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center, $237,136.00, Co-PI, 2015.
- “A Mobile Wireless Sensor Network for Road Travel Safety in Intelligent Transportation System”, funded by Denso Co., $50,000.00, PI, 2015.
- “A Joint Cooperative Relay and Cross-Layer QoS Provisioning Wireless Sensor Network in Intelligent Transportation Systems”, LTU Academic and Scholarly Excellence Seed Grant Program 2015, $5000.00, PI.
- “Entrepreneurial Development Through Next Generation Wearable Wireless Sensing Systems”, Coleman Mini Grant 2015, $5000.00, PI.
- Ford Vehicle to Infrastructure Mini Grant 2015, $5000.00, PI
- “Development of Smart Blood Glucose Monitor for iPhone or Android ”,funded by Interactive MD, $48,000.00, Co-PI, 2012-2014.
- “Sensing, Perception and Control for the Development of Next Generation Robotic Systems”, funded by Denso Co., $50,000.00 Co-PI, 2013.
- “Adaptive Software Defined Radio Frequency Wireless Communication System for Severe Channel Environments”, LTU Academic and Scholarly Excellence Seed Grant Program 2010, Award $3000.00, PI.
- “Implementation of Spread Spectrum and OFDM Wireless Communication Techniques for Water Quality Assessment”, LTU Academic and Scholarly Excellence Seed Grant Program 2012, Award $3000.00, PI.
EEE 2123 Circuits and Electronics
EEE 4423 Communication Systems
EEE 5444 Digital Communications
EEE 5654 Digital Signal Processing
EEE 6444 Software Defined Radio
EEE 6784 Advanced Communication Theory
EEE 4913 Automotive Electronics (SUES, China)
EEE 4233 Digital Image Processing (SUES, China)
Ph.D. Computer and Electronic Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2008
MS, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University 2004
BS, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University 1999
Assistant professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, 2010 - present
Post-Doctor of Computer and Electronic Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2009 - 2010
DTL Embedded Software Engineer, Controls LLC. Omaha, NE, USA 2008 - 2009
Main Honors and Membership:
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, which was selected from 113 competitors and was provided by University of Nebraska Lincoln,
2011 Best Conference Paper Award in ANSS 2011 and Best Conference Paper Award Nomination in BCGIn 2011
2004-Current IEEE member, Communication Society
IEEE Senior Member since Feb. 2011.
2014-Current ACM member
- Kun Hua, Hansong Xu and Honggang Wang, “Adaptive FEC Coding and Cooperative Relayed Wireless Image Transmission”, Journal of Digital Communication and Network, Elsevier, June 27, 2015
- Hansong Xu (student advisee), Kun Hua (Corresponding Author), “Secured ECG Signal Transmission for Human Emotional Stress Classification in Wireless Body Area Networks”, EURASIP Journal on Information Security, 2015.
- Kun Hua, Wei Wang, “High Secure Self Encoded Spread Spectrum Watermarking using Genetic Algorithms", Journal of Telecommunication Systems (SCIE), Vol 60, Iss 1, pp 143-148 Sep. 2015
- Hansong Xu (student advisee), Kun Hua (Corresponding Author), Wei Wang, Mandy Lu and Tigang Jiang, “Energy Efficient ECG Monitoring System for Human Emotional Stress Assessment”, special issue of Energy Efficient and Trustworthy Communication System, Scientific & Academic Publishing Journal, 2015
- Jun Huang, Kun Hua, el. "DTD: A Novel Double-Track Approach to Clone Detection for RFID-enabled Supply Chains", IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, 2015
- Jun Huang, Yi Sun, Fang Fang, Cong-Cong Xing, Yanxiao Zhao and Kun Hua, “Multiple Service Providers with IP Flow Mobility: From An Economic Perspective”, the 24th International Conference on Computer Communication and Networks (ICCCN), Aug 3-6, 2015, Las Vegas, NV, USA
- Lin Zhang, Weiguo Fan, Guanqun Qian, Kun Hua and Li Zhang, “Sentiment Analysis Based on Light Reviews”, Procedia Computer Science, Dec. 2014.
- Gang Wu, Qinghe Du and Kun Hua, “Selective Random CDD Enhanced Joint Cooperative Relay and HARQ for Delay-Tolerant Vehicular Communications,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Special issue of Data Disseminations in Vehicular Environments (SCI IF:0.727).
- Lin Xing, Wei Wang, Sunho Lim, Onyeka Ezenwoye, Kun Hua, “Multimedia Streaming Over Mobile Networks: Exploring the Quality Gain Potentials of P2P Coordinative Multisource Selection”, In The Future of Wireless Networks: Architectures, Protocols, and Services, CRC Press, Feb 2015
- Wei Li, Guobin Li, Shihua Zhu and Kun Hua, “Orthogonal projection based asymmetric multi-way relaying with antenna subset selection”, Electronics Letters, vol. 50, issue 13, June, 2014. (SCI IF:1.068)
- Kun Hua and Yuenong Zhu, “Cross-Layer Design for Optimal Throughput of Wireless Networks”, ACM RACS 2014.
- Lin Zhang, Kun Hua, Honggang Wang, Guanqun Qian and Li Zhang, “Sentiment Analysis on Reviews of Mobile Users”, The 11th International Conference on Mobile Systems and Pervasive Computing (MobiSPC'14), Aug.17-20, 2014, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- Dongkyun Kim, Juan Carlos Cano, Wei Wang, Floriano De Rango, and Kun Hua, "Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks," International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2014. (SCI IF:0.727).
- Jianjun Yang, Yin Wang, Honggang Wang, Kun Hua, etc, “Automatic Objects Removal for Scene Completion”, 2014 IEEE The 33rd Annual IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications(INFOCOM), Workshop on Security and Privacy in Big Data, Toronto, Canada, April 27 –May 2, 2014 Acceptance rate: 17.5% (276 out of 1575)
- Jianjun Yang, Yin Wang, Kun Hua, Wei Wang, Honggang Wang, “Fairness Based Dynamic Channel Allocation in Wireless Mesh Networks”, ICNC 2014, Honolulu, HI (acceptance rate: below 30%).
- Dongkyun Kim, Juan Carlos Cano, Wei Wang, Floriano De Rango, and Kun Hua, “Data Disseminations in Vehicular Environments”, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks Volume 2013 (2013), (SCI IF:0.727)
- Kun Hua, “Intelligent Controls for Cyber Physical Energy Buildings”, ICCC 2013 - IOT 2013, Aug 12-14, Xi’an, China
- Kun Hua, Guang-Chong Zhu, Athanasios V. Vasilakos, “A Secure and Robust Self-Encoded Spread Spectrum Multiple-Access Approach for Multimedia Communication System”, Globecom 2013, Atlanta, GA (acceptance rate: 841/ 2272=37%).
- Kun Hua, Honggang Wang, Wei Wang, “Alamouti Based Cooperative Wireless Networks for Multiplexing-Diversity Balanced Multimedia Transmission”, the 8th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2012), Limassol, Cyprus, Aug.27-31,2012
- Kun Hua, Wei Wang, Honggang Wang, and Alghamdi Ali, “Multiplexing-Diversity Balanced Cooperative Wireless Cellular Networks Based on Alamouti Space Time Code for Multimedia Transmission”, IEEE Globecom Anaheim, CA, USA, Dec 3-7, 2012
- Lin Xing, Wei Wang, S. Lim, Feifei Gao, and Kun Hua, “On Energy-balanced Resource Scheduling Policy Optimality for QoS Assurance in Multi-Hop in Wireless Multimedia Networks”, Journal of Telecommunication Systems (SCIE)
- Wei Wang, Min Zhao, Honggang Wang, and Kun Hua, “Exploring Region of Interrest (ROI) to Support Quality of Service in Unreliable Wireless Electronic Healthcare Communications”, International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics, 7(4), 1-12, Oct.- Dec. 2012
- Wei Wang, Honggang Wang, Kun Hua, Shaoen Wu, Feifei Gao, Xuewen Liao, and Tigang Jiang, “Quality-Optimized Energy Neutrality with Link Layer Resource Allocation for Zero-Power Harvesting Wireless Communications”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2011, Houston, USA, Dec. 2011.
- Navid Tadayon, Honggang Wang, and Kun Hua, “A Cooperative Transmission Approach to Reduce End-to-End Delay in Multi Hop Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2011, Houston, USA, Dec. 2011.
- Wei Wang, Kun Hua, Shaoen Wu, Honggang Wang, “An Energy-Balanced Coding Redundancy Scheduling Approach to Support Quality of Service in Battery-Powered Multi-Hop Wireless Networks”, 44th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS), awarded the Best paper of ANSS 2011, Boston, USA, Apr. 2011.
- Kun Hua, Shaoen Wu, Wei Wang, Honggang Wang, “Cognitive Cross-layer Design with QoS Provisioning for Cooperative Wireless Networking”, 44th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS2011), Boston, USA, Apr. 2011.
- Yin Wang, Kun Hua, Jun Zhang, “Fast and High Accuracy Numerical Methods of PDEs in Computational Finance”, International conference on business computing and global informatization (BCGIn), nominated the Best paper of BCGIn, Shanghai, China, July 29-31, 2011.
- Kun Hua, Yin Wang, "Adaptive Software Defined Radio Detection with Artificial Intelligence", IJNCM: International Journal of Networked Computing and Advanced Information Management, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1 ~ 8, 2011
- Kun Hua, Yin Wang, Wei Wang, Shaoen Wu, “Cross Layer Design for QoS Provisioning Cooperative Video Transmission”, invited paper, published in IEEE COMSOC MMTC E-Letter, Sep. 2011.
- Alghamdi Ali (Student Advisee), Kun Hua (Corresponding Author), “An Adaptive Modulation Scheme in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks”, accepted by IEEE GLOBECOM 2011, Workshop on Multimedia Communications & Services, Houston, USA, Dec. 2011.
- Kun Hua, Honggang Wang, Wei Wang, and Shaoen Wu, “Adaptive Data Compression in Wireless Sensor Networks,” "in 13th IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE-2010), Hong Kong, China. Dec, 2010.
- Wei Wang, Kun Hua, Michael Hempel, Dongming Peng, Hamid Sharif, and H. H. Chen, “A Stochastic Biometric Authentication Scheme using Uniformed GMM in Wireless Body Area Sensor Networks,” in 21st Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Sept. 2010.
- Tao Ma, Michael Hempel, Kun Hua, Dongming Peng, and Hamid Sharif, “A Novel Cooperative Image Transmission Scheme in Wireless Sensor Networks”, the 35th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Denver, Colorado, U.S.A. Oct. 2010
- Honggang Wang, Wei Wang, Shaoen. Wu, and Kun Hua, “A Survey on the Cross-layer Design for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks,” in the First International Workshop on Mobile Multimedia Networking in conjunction with Mobilware, Jun. 2010.
- Kun Hua, Won Mee Jang and Lim Nguyen, ”Cooperative Self Encoded Spread Spectrum in Fading Channels”, International Journal of Communication, Network and system, Vol.2, pp91-96,May, 2009
- Kun Hua, Lim Nguyen and Won Mee Jang, ”Synchronization of Self-Encoded Spread Spectrum System”, IET Journals Electronics Letters, Vol 44, No.12, pp749-751 (SCI), June 2008
- Kun Hua, Won Mee Jang and Lim Nguyen, “Convolutional Coding in Cooperative Relay Systems with Spread Spectrum”, the 4th International Conference on Networked Computing and Advanced Information Management (NCM2008), pp239-243, Gyeongju, Korea, Sep 2-4, 2008
- Kun Hua, Lim Nguyen and Won Mee Jang, “Synchronization of Self-Encoded Spread Spectrum System with Genetic Algorithm and Markov Chain Analysis”, Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS) 2008, pp324-329, Princeton, NJ, Mar. 18-20,2008.
- Kun Hua, Liang Pu, “A Watermarking Method with A New SS technique”, 7th International Conference for Computational Science, ICCS 2007, Part III, LNCS 4489 pp867-873, May 27-30, 2007
- Kun Hua, Lim Nguyen and Won Mee Jang, “Performance of Coded Frequency Hopped OFDM Systems in Frequency Selective Channels”, 8th International Conference on Signal Processing , Vol 3, pp2290-2293 , Nanjing, Nov 16-20, 2006
- Kun Hua, Shihua Zhu, Xia Wang and Kejian Zhang, “Design of Fast Frequency-hopping Systems Based on TMS20VC5410(DSP)”, Journal of Communication Magazine , 2003ï¼Œ60(4): pp15-21.
Guest talk and Presentations:
(1) Kun Hua, Guest talk at SOS 2012, Sustainable Urbanism Conference, MI, USA, Oct 5-6, 2012 "Image Detection, Recognition and 3-D reconstruction for Net-Zero Energy Buildings"
(2) Kun Hua, Guest talk at University of Electronic, Science and Technology of China (UESTC): "Energy Efficient Wireless Sensor Networks", June 12, 2012
(3) Kun Hua, Guest talk at Chang'an University, Xi'an, China: "Adaptive Cross Layer Design for Wireless Sensor Networks", July 2, 2012
(4) Kun Hua, Guest talk at Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China: "High Secure Self-encoded Spread Spectrum and Energy Efficient Wireless Sensor Networks", July 2, 2012
(5) Kun Hua, Guest talk at New York Institute of Technology, New York, USA, 2010, "Synchronization of Self-Encoded Spread Spectrum System with Genetic Algorithm and Markov Chain Analysis"
(6) Kun Hua, Guest talk at Goshen College, Goshen, IN, USA, 2010, "Cooperative Self Encoded Spread Spectrum in Fading Channels"
(7) Kun Hua, Guest talk at Saint Mary's University of Minnesota, Winona, MN, USA, 2009, "Adaptive Data Compression in Wireless Sensor Networks"
Journal Associate Editor-in-chief and Guest Editors of:
- Journal of Wiley Security and Communication Networks http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1939-0122/homepage/EditorialBoard.html
- International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Special Issue on “Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks 2015” http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdsn/si/274946/cfp/
- International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Special Issue on “Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks” http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdsn/si/273090/cfp/
- International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Special Issue on “Data Disseminations in Vehicular Environments” http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdsn/si/912832/cfp/
Workshop Chair of
- 8th International Conference on Mobile Multimedia Communications, May 25-27, 2015, Chengdu, China
- Mobile Multimedia Networks Workshop, in conjunction with the 14th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT 2014), Xi’an, China, Sep 11-13, 2014.
Technical Program Committee (TPC) Chair of
The Third International Conference on Green Communications and Networking (GreeNETS 2014), that will be held in Bali Indonesia on 04- 05 October 2014.
Track Chair of
The 12th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT2012) http://www.ee.uestc.edu.cn/cit2012/
Session Chair of
- First ICST International Conference on Green Communications and Networking
- 44th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS), Boston, 2011
- Globecom 2011, 2nd workshop on Multimedia Communications and Services (MCS)
Technical Program Committee (TPC) member of:
- The 2014 International Conference of Computing, Networking and Communications.
- IEEE Globecom 2011-2015
- IEEE&CIC 2013 International Conference on Communications
- IEEE/IFIP 2012 International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing
- IEEE 2012 SmartGrid Comm
- IEEE 2012 International Connected Vehicles and Expo
- IEEE 2011 International Conference on Communication Technology
- The 2010 International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IEEE IWCMC 2010), Multimedia over Wireless Symposium
- The 2010 International Conference on Computer Science and Converge Information Technology (ICCIT 2010)
- IEEE CSE 2010 (Advanced Networking and Applications symposium)
- International Conference on Networked Computing, Advanced Information Management and Digital Content and Multimedia Technologies(NCM 2010)
- 4th International Conference on New Trends in Information Science and Service Science (NISS 2000)
- The 2010 Spring Simulation Multi-conference (ACM/SIGSIM SpringSim 2010 and 2011), 43th and 44th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS), Session Chair
- The International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Software Engineering (IEEE CISE 2009)
- The International Conference on Computational Science (IEEE ICCS 2008,2009 and 2013-2015)
Technical Reviewer of:
- IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC)
- IEEE Transactions on Communications
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- Journal of Information Science, Elsevier,
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems on Video Technology,
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Communications Magazine,
- IET Electronics Letters,
- IEEE Communications Letters,
- EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing,
- International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making
- International Journal of Communications,
- Network and System Sciences.
- Annals of Operations Research
- KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems
- Journal of Supercomputing
- Computers & Operations Research
IEEE ICC 2007,2009-2015, IEEE GLOBECOM 2007-2015, IEEE WCMC 2009-2015, IEEE VTC 2007-2015, ACM IWCMC 2007, ICST ChinaCom 2007, IEEE MILICOM 2007, etc.
Service to the University and the Community
1. Member of Assessment Committee of LTU (Sep 1st 2012- now)
2. Advisor of Lawrence tech IEEE Student Branch, Senior Member, IEEE
3. Course coordinator for EEE4423 Communications Systems class.