Faculty + Staff
Mechanical, Robotics, and Industrial Engineering
Assistant Department Chair and Professor
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, The University of New Mexico
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, The University of Wyoming
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, The University of Evansville
Courses and Advising
- Director, Minor in Aeronautical Engineering
- Advisor, AIAA
- Advisor, SAE Aero Design competition team
- Introduction to Engineering
- Creative Problem Solving
- Fluid Mechanics
- Introduction to Thermal Systems
- Thermal Science Laboratory
- Energy and Environmental Management
- Viscous Flow
- Integrated Mechanical Design
- O’Hern, T.J., Weckman, E.J., Gerhart, A.L., Tieszen, S.R., Schefer, R.W., 2005, “Experimental Study of a Turbulent Buoyant Helium Plume,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 544, pp. 143-171.
- Gerhart, A.L., 2004, “Adjunct and Temporary Faculty – Advantageous or Detrimental?”, Phi Kappa Phi Forum, Vol. 84, No. 4, pp. 21-22.
- Wu, W., Gerhart, A.L., Chen, Z., Dellenback, P.A., Agarwal, P.K., 2001, “A Device for Measuring Solids Flowrate in a Circulating Fluidized Bed,” Powder Technology, Vol. 120, No. 3, pp. 151-158.
- Tieszen, S.R., O’Hern, T.J., Weckman, E.J., Gerhart, A.L., Schefer, R.W., 2001, “Spatially and temporally resolved data for validation of turbulent buoyant models in FUEGO : velocity fields in methane fires and simultaneous velocity and concentration fields in helium plumes,” Sandia Report: SAND2001-2684A, presented at the Fourth Biennial Tri-Laboratory Conference, October 23-24, 2001, Albuquerque, NM.
- Gerhart, A.L., Carpenter, D.D., Grunow, M.L., Hayes, K., 2010, “Development of a Leadership and Entrepreneurship Skills Assessment Instrument,” Proceedings of the 2010 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Louisville, KY, June 2010.
- Gerhart, A.L. and Fletcher, R.W., 2011, “Project-Based Learning and Design Experiences in Introduction to Engineering Courses – Assessing an Incremental Introduction of Engineering Skills,” Proceedings of the 2011 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Gerhart, A.L. and Grunow, M.L., 2009, “Leadership Models and Practices Course – Student Perceptions and Development of Leadership Skills and Incorporation of a New Leadership Course,” Proceedings of the 2009 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Austin, TX, June 2009.
- Gerhart, A.L. and Gerhart, P.M, 2009, “Dad & Lad – Advantages, Best Practices, and Pitfalls to Avoid for a Parent and Son/Daughter Who Are Both Faculty Members in a Similar Discipline (With Applications to Mentoring),” Proceedings of the 2009 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Austin, TX, June 2009.
- Gerhart, A.L. and Carpenter, D.D., 2008, “Creative Problem Solving Course – Student Perceptions of Creativity and Comparisons of Creative Problem Solving Methodologies,” Proceedings of the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Pittsburgh, PA, June 2008.
- Gerhart, A.L., Gerhart, P.M., Fletcher, R.W., 2008, “Comparison of Differing Credit Hour Allotments for Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics Courses,” Proceedings of the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Pittsburgh, PA, June 2008.
Textbook Problems Storyboarded/Authored
- A Brief Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, 4th Ed., Wiley Plus Interactive Tutorials, 2007, Young, D.F., Munson, B.R., Okiishi, T.H, and Huebsch, W.W., Wiley.
- Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, 7th Ed., Wiley Plus Interactive Tutorials, 2008, Fox, R.W., McDonald, A.T., Pritchard, P.J., Wiley.
- Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics, 6th Ed., Wiley Plus Interactive Tutorials, 2008-2009, Munson, Young, Okiishi, Huebsch, Wiley. - Reviewed
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Mary E. and Richard E. Marburger Faculty of the Year Award, Lawrence Technological University
- 2010 Michigan Professor of the Year, U.S. Professors of the Year Program, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- 2010 Engineering Society of Detroit Council Leadership Award
- 2010 Henry and Barbara Horldt Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2005 Outstanding Young Engineer, Engineering Society of Detroit
- 2005 Best Paper, PIC V, ASEE National Conference
- 2005 UGS Solid Edge Design Award for birchbark canoe replica, Detroit to Pittsburgh Canoe Trip (inaugural award)
- Rio Grande Corridor Educational Initiative Research Grant (Graduate student recipient)
- Department of Energy EPSCoR/DOE Research Grant (Graduate student recipient)
- Phi Kappa Phi, National Honor Society
- Pi Tau Sigma, Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
- Pi Mu Epsilon, Mathematics Honor Society
- National Science Honor Society
- Phi Eta Sigma, National Freshman Honor Society
Activities and Service
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Committee Member, Performance Test Code 30.1, 2003-2012
- Member, Engineering Society of Detroit
- Chair, Young Engineer and Student Award Selection Committee
- Member, Young Engineers Council
- Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi, National Honor Society
- Member, Pi Tau Sigma, Mechanical Engineering Honor Society