Faculty + Staff
Appleby has been teaching at LTU since 1996. She instructs both undergraduate and graduate courses in chemistry. She recently received funding to develop a hybrid online version of the course, Fundamentals of Chemistry. She has also developed and taught hybrid online chemistry courses for the MSE curriculum.
She received a bachelor of science degree from Michigan State University. While completing her undergraduate degree, she worked in research and development at Dow Corning in Midland, Mich. She continued her studies at Michigan State University to obtain a Master of Science in Chemistry in 1996. Her research interests include chemical education and computational chemistry.
Appleby is the faculty advisor for the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority (AKA), National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) and she is the co-faculty advisor for the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. She is also actively involved in the Detroit Area Pre-College Engineering Program (DAPCEP).
She is a member of the following professional organizations: American Chemical Society, National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers, American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the National Science Teachers Association.
MS Chemistry, Michigan State University, 1996
Honors, Award, And Memberships
American Chemical Society, 1998
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 2009
College of Arts & Sciences Deans Award for Academic Excellence, 2010-2011
National Science Teaching Association, 2009
Scholarly Activities (Includes, Grant, Conference Presentations, Etc.)
ITEST Grantee, PURSE Program, National Science Foundation, 2009-2011
VITRC Grantee, Online Course Development, Lawrence Technological University 2005.
- CHM 1154 Introductory Chemical Principles
- CHM 1213 University Chemistry 1
- CHM1221 University Chemistry Lab 1
- CHM 3144 Fundamentals of Chemistry
- CHM 3423 Physical Chemistry 1
- CHM 3434 Physical Chemistry 2
- CHM 3431 Physical Chemistry Lab 1
- CHM 4001 Computational Chemistry 2
- CHM 6153 Matter, Energy and Their Changes
- CHM 6253 Materials and Their Uses
- SCE 6303 Introductory Seminar
- SCE 6113 Contemporary Pedagogy
- SCE 6203 Computer Applications for Educators
- FSC 6013 Forensic Science for Educators (co-instructor)
- COM 1001 University Seminar
- PSC 1131 Physical Science Lab (co-instructor)
- PHY 2421 University Physics Lab 1
- PHY 2221 College Physics Lab 1
Quest And Other Student Projects
Michael Hall, Using Rigor/Relevance Framework to Enhance Student Achievement in Measurement and Scientific Process Skills, December 15, 2011.
Sadhana D. Shaik, Microbiology Course for LTU-DAPCEP, July 15, 2011
Amy Beattie, Changing Attitudes in Science using Cooperative Learning, June 7, 2011
Barbara Webb, Cooperative Study As Preparation for Assessments, June 17, 2011