Dr. Liping Liu
21000 West Ten Mile Road
Engineering Building, E38
Southfield, MI 48075
Phone: (248) 204-2528
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China
Courses and Advising
- Assistant director, D. E. Mechanical Engineering program
- Faculty co-advisor, SAE Collegiate Chapter at Lawrence Tech University
- Faculty co-advisor, Blue Devil Motorsports, Lawrence Tech University
- EME 3123 – Fluid Mechanics
- EME 4013 – Heat Transfer
- EGE 3012 – Engineering Cost Analysis
- EME 5173 – Transport Phenomena
- EME 5273 – Heat Pipes
- Thermal sciences and energy
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Particle image velocimetry (PIV)
- HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Condensation & boiling on engineered surfaces
- Gabbasa, A. Jawad, B., Liu, L., and Arslan, S., 2013, "Numerical Study of the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Multi-Element Airfoil NACA 23012," SAE International Journal of Aerospace, 6(1), doi: 10.4271/2013-01-1410.
- Liu, L., Kim, E. S., Park, Y., and Jacobi, A. M., 2012, “The Potential Impact of Nano-Fluid Enhancements on the Performance of Heat Exchangers,” Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 33(1), pp. 31-41.
- He, J., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2011, “Conjugate Thermal Analysis of Air-Cooled Discrete Flush-Mounted Heat Sources in a Horizontal Channel”, Journal of Electronic Packaging, 133, No. 041001.
- He, J., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2011, “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Laminar Channel Flow with a Transparent Wall”, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 133, No. 061701.
- Park, Y., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2010, “Rational Approaches for Combining Redundant, Independent Measurements to Minimize Combined Experimental Uncertainty,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 34(6), pp. 720-724.
- He, J., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2010, “Air-Side Heat Transfer Enhancement by a New Winglet-Type Vortex Generator Array in a Plain-Fin Round-Tube Heat Exchanger,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 132, No. 071801.
- Liu, L. and Jacobi, A. M., 2009, “Air-Side Surface Wettability Effects on the Performance of Slit-Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchangers Operating under Wet-Surface Conditions,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 131, No. 051802.
- Liu, L. and Jacobi, A. M., 2009, “A Surface Embossing Technique to Create Micro-Grooves on Aluminum Fin Stock for Drainage Enhancement,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 19, No. 035026.
- Henderson, K., Park, Y., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2009, “Flow-Boiling Heat Transfer of R-134a-Based Nanofluids in a Horizontal Tube,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53, pp. 944-951.
- Liu, L. and Jacobi, A. M., 2008, “Issues Affecting the Reliability of Dynamic Dip Testing as a Method to Assess the Condensate Drainage Behavior from the Air-Side Surface of Dehumidifying Heat Exchangers,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 32, pp. 1512-1522.
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Research Seed Grant Award, Lawrence Technological University, 2012
- ExCEEd Teaching Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2011
- Faculty Research Seed Grant Award, Lawrence Technological University, 2010
- Yee Memorial Fund Fellowship, University of Illinois, 2009
- MechSE Graduate Teaching Fellow, University of Illinois, 2009
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students (Outstanding ratings), University of Illinois, 2009
- Outstanding Graduates Award, Anhui Province, China, 2003
Activities and Service
- Member, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Secretary, Technical Committee 1.1 (Thermodynamics and Psychrometrics)
- Session Chair, ASHRAE Winter Conference, Jan 2012, Chicago, IL
- President, ASHRAE Student Branch, University of Illinois: Sep 2006 – Sep 2009
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Session Co-organizer, ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, CA
- Member, SAE International
- Reviewer: International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, International Journal of Refrigeration, Journal of Heat Transfer, Applied Thermal Engineering, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, ASHRAE Transactions, etc.