James Mynderse, PhD
21000 West Ten Mile Road
Engineering Building, E43
Southfield, MI 48075
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
Courses and Advising
- Director, M.S. Mechatronic Systems Engineering program
- Advisor, Baja SAE team
- EGE 2013 - Statics
- EME 3214 - Mechatronics
- EME 5323 - Modern Control Systems
- MSE 5183 - Mechatronic Systems I
- MSE 6183 - Mechatronic Systems II
- Control theory
- Hysteresis modeling and compensation
- Perception-based engineering and HMI
- Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)
- Additive manufacturing: laser sintering
- Mynderse, J. A. and Chiu, G. T.-C., 2015, "Two Degree-of-Freedom Hysteresis Compensation for a Dynamic Mirror Actuator," ASME/IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, in production, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2015.2493038.
- Mynderse, J. A. and Chiu, G. T.-C., 2013, “Modeling of a dynamic mirror with antagonistic piezoelectric stack actuation,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 136(2), doi: 10.1115/1.4025671.
- Mynderse, J. A., Fletcher, R. W., Liu, L., Gerhart, A. L., Arslan, S., and Yee, K., 2016, “A three semester mechanical engineering capstone design sequence based on SAE collegiate design series”. Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition.
- Johns, M., Kamping, H., Krueger, K., Mynderse, J., and Riedel, C., 2016, “Setting differential pinion bearing preload using system stiffness as estimated by frequency response”. Proceedings of the SAE World Congress.
- Liu, L., Mynderse, J. A., Gerhart, A. L., and Arslan, S., 2015, "Fostering the Entrepreneurial Mindset in the Junior and Senior Mechanical Engineering Curriculum with a Multi-Course Problem-Based Learning Experience," Proceedings of the 45th Annual Frontiers in Education Conference.
- Mynderse, J. A. and Shelton, J. N., 2015, "Assessment of an Improved Problem-Based Learning Implementation in a Senior/Graduate Mechatronic Design Course," Proceedings of the 2015 ASEE Annual Conference.
- Mynderse, J. A., Gerhart, A. L., Liu, L., and Arslan, S., 2015, "Multi-course Problem-based Learning Module Spanning Across the Junior and Senior Mechanical Engineering Curriculum: Mechatronics, Fluid Mechanics, and Heat Transfer," Proceedings of the 2015 ASEE Annual Conference.
- Shelton, J. N., Mynderse, J. A., and Chiu, G. T.-C., 2013, “Smoothly transitioning between ballistic and corrective control to produce human-like movement,” Proceedings of the 2013 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSCC2013).
- Israr, A., Tan, H. Z., Mynderse, J. A., and Chiu, G. T.-C., 2008, “A psychophysical model of motorcycle handlebar vibrations,” Proceedings of the 2008 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (IMECE2008).
- Mynderse, J. A., Messner,W. C., and Chiu, G. T.-C., 2007, “H∞ loopshaping control of a steering wheel vibration simulator using complex lead filter,” Proceedings of the 2007 European Controls Conference.
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Research Seed Grant Award, Lawrence Technological University
- Estus H. and Vashti L. Magoon Award for Excellence in Teaching, Purdue University
- Laura Davidson Winkelman Fellowship, Purdue University
- John M. Bruce Memorial Scholarship, Purdue University
- Eagle Scout
Activities and Service
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)