Ahad Ali, PhD
21000 West Ten Mile Road
Engineering Building, E37
Southfield, MI 48075
Phone: (248) 204-2531
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, USA
- M.S., Systems and Engineering Management, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Khulna University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh
Courses and Advising
- Director, Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering (BSIE) program
- Director, Master of Science in Industrial Engineering (MSIE) program
- Director, Smart Manufacturing and Lean Systems Reseach Group
- Faculty Advisor, IEOM Student Chapter
- Faculty Advisor, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Student Chapter
- Faculty Advisor, Engineers Without Borders
- EME 7303 Design for Relaibility
- EME 7202 Manufacturing Systems Simulation
- EME 6743 Value Engineering
- EME 6673 Six Sigma Processes
- EME 6663 Applied Stochastic Processes
- EME 6653 Advanced Optimization Techniques
- EME 6583 Enterprise Productivity
- EME 6403 Quality Control
- EME 5603 Engineering Systems Simualtion
- EME 3023 Manufacturing Processes
- EME 2012 Mechanical Engineering Graphics
- Manufacturing systems
- Modeling, simulation and optimization
- Artifical intelligence
- Lean manufacturing
- Product lifecycle management (PLM), CAD, CAM, and CAE
- Decision support systems
- Supply chain management and logistics
- Energy optimization, biomass and renewable rnergy
- Healthcare Systems
- A. Pandian and A. Ali, Automotive Assembly Line Throughput Forecasting using ANN Modeling, Accepted for the Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2014.
- Ertunga C. Ozelkan, M. D. Sarder and Ahad Ali, Back to Fundamentals for a Successful Lean Six Sigma Enterprise Transformation: An Introduction to Jet Special Issue on Case Studies in Lean Enterprise Transformation, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, 4:1–4, 2014. DOI: 10.1080/19488289.2014.899837.
- Ozelkana, C., A. Ali, and M. D. Sarder, Lean Enterprise Transformation is a Business Necessity for Sustainable Growth, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 133-135, 2013.
- D. Johnson and A. Ali, Modeling and Simulation of Landmine and Improvised Explosive Device Detection with Multiple Loops, Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, in-press.
- A. Pandian and A. Ali, Performance measurement of an Automotive BIW robotic assembly: ARMA modeling, Measuring Business Excellence, vol. 17, no. 1, pp.3 – 21, 2013.
- D. Shetty, L. Manzione, and A. Ali, Survey of Mechatronic Techniques in Modern Machine Design, Journal of Robotics, vol. 2012, article ID 932305, 9 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/932305.
- T. Pandit and A. Ali, Simulation and Reliability Analysis of Laser-Welded Blanks after Metal Surface Finishing Process, International Journal of Manufacturing, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1-11, 2012.
- A. Ali, Simulation Intelligence and Modeling for Manufacturing System Uncertainties, International Journal of Modeling, Simulation and Scientific Computing, vol. 3, no. 3, 1250013 (22 pages), 2012, 2012.
- S. Krstovski and A. Ali, Productivity Improvement in Subsystem of Assembly Process Utilizing Simulation, International Journal of Modeling in Operations Management, vol. 2, no. 3, pp.227–241, 2012.
- A. Ali, N. Santini, and M. A. Rahman, Kanban Supplier System as a Standardization Method and WIP Reduction, Special Issue of the International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, vo. 11, nos. 1/2, pp.179–188, 2012.
- V. Cook, and A. Ali, End-of-line inspection for annoying noises in automobiles: trends and perspectives, Applied Acoustic, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 265-275, 2012.
- E. Hossain, M. R. Khan, and Ahad Ali, Design and Data Analysis for a Belt-for-Blind for Visually Impaired People, International Journal of Advanced Mechatronic Systems, Vol. 3, No.5/6, pp. 384 – 397, 2011.
- M. Gojcaj, and A. Ali, Design, Simulation and Improvement of the End-of-Line Conveyor System for Car Rear Seatbacks Manufacturing, International Journal of Human Factors Modelling and Simulation, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 222–235, 2011.
- E. Hossain, R. Khan, R. Muhida and A. Ali, State of the art Review on Walking Support System for Visually Impaired People, International Journal of Biomechatronics and Biomedical Robotics, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 232–251, 2011.
- Q. K. Hassan, A. Ali, N. Sekhon, and X. Wang, Analysis of Potential Wind and Solar Energy at Selected Airport Locations in Canada, International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, vol. 9, no.2 pp. 150 – 162, 2011.
- E. Hossain, R. Khan, R. Muhida, and A. Ali, Analysis and Implementation for a Walking Support System for Visually Impaired People, International Journal of Intelligent Mechatronics and Robotics, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 46-62, 2011.
- J. Blake, and A. Ali, Simulation Analysis and Performance Improvement of Engine Assembly Line, International Journal of Process Systems Engineering, vol. 1, nos. 3/4, pp. 288–301, 2011.
- Q.K. Hassan, K.M. Rahman, A.S. Haque, and A. Ali, Solar energy modelling over a residential community in the City of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. International Journal of Photoenergy, Volume 2011, Article ID 216519, 8 pages, 2011.
- D. Shetty, A. Ali, and J. Hill, Instrumentation for Vibration Measurement and Monitoring, International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 405-411, 2011.
- K. Altayib and A. Ali, Improvement for Alignment Process of Automotive Assembly Plant Using Simulation and Design of Experiments, International Journal of Experimental Design and Process Optimisation, vol. 2, no. 2, pp.145–160, 2011.
- A. Pandian and A. Ali, Automotive Robotic Body Shop Simulation for Performance Improvement using Plant Feedback, International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 269-291, 2011.
- J. Polubinski, and A. Ali, Simulation Analysis of Commercial Truck Spiral Bevel Gear Process, International Journal of Modeling and Operations Management, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 197 - 207, 2010.
- D. Shetty, A. Ali, and R. Cummings, A Model to Assess Lean Thinking Manufacturing Initiatives, International Journal of Lean Six Sigma, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 310-334, 2010.
- A. Ali, H. Seifoddini, and J. Lee, Efficient Material Allocation in High-Mix Low-Volume Manufacturing, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 101–116, 2010.
- W. Moir, and A. Ali, Conveyor Stop for Quality Simulation Analysis, Journal of Modelling and Simulation of Systems, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 197-203, 2010.
- A. Pandian and A. Ali, A Review of Recent Trends in Machine Diagnosis and Prognosis Algorithms, International Journal of Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications, vol. 2, pp. 321-329, 2010.
- V. Cook, and A. Ali, Using net present value methods to evaluate quality improvement projects, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 333 – 350, 2010.
- D. Shetty, A. Ali, and J.J. Chapdelaine, A Model for the Total Productive Manufacturing Assessment and Implementation, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 117-136, 2009.
- M. Khadem, A. Ali and H. Seifoddini, Efficacy of Lean Metrics in Evaluating the Performance of Manufacturing System,International Journal of Industrial Engineering - Theory, Applications and Practice, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 176-184, 2008.
- A. Ali, Z. Chen and J. Lee, Web-enabled platform for distributed and dynamic decision making systems, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1260-1270, 2007.
Received a contract for warehouse operations improvement of wheel repacking, ongoing.
Received $40 Million in-kind Software Grant on Production Lifecycle Management (PLM), Siemens Software, Award Date – July 10, 2013, $40,191,520.
Edge CAM in-kind software grant, Tooling Software Technology (TST), LLC, September 2013, $752,453.
Received KEEN Topical Grant of the Project on Sustainability Module Development in Product Design with collaboration with Gonzaga University, Ohio Northern University and Saint Louis University, Kern Family Foundation, September 2013 – August 2014, $47,000 as PI.
Received funding for the Project on Die Prep Time Reduction of Stamping Operations, New Center Stamping Inc., 2013 - 2014, $30,000 as PI.
Industrial Energy Assessment Grant as part of the SME Grant awarded from the U.S. Department of Energy for the Industrial Assessment Center Program (IAC), 2012 – 2013.
Received a Contract for the Project on Energy Optimization Study Boiler Controller, DTE Energy, Jan 2010 – March 2011, $ 28,130.
Received a Seed Grant for the Project on Innovative Predictive Machine Failure Methodology Development using Web-enabled e-Manufacturing and Condition Based Monitoring (CBM), LTU Seed Grant, August 2009 – May 2010, $ 3,000,
Activities and Service
- Member, IIE
- President of IIE Lean Division, 2009 - 2011
- Leads IIE Lean Student Paper Competition, 2007 - 2013
- Member, SME
- Member, IEEE
- Member, INFORMS
- Technical committees:
- Confernece Chair, 2015 IEOM Conference, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, March 3 - 5, 2015.
- Conference Chair, 2014 IEOM Conference, Bali, Indonesia, January 7-9, 2014.
- Conference Chair, 2012 IEOM Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, July 3-6, 2012.
- Program Chair, 2011 IEOM Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Program Chair, 2010 IEOM Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Technical/Program Chair, International Conference on Smart Manufacturing and Industrial Systems, Trinidad, West Indies, 2011
- Co-Chair, Lean Systems Track, IIE Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 17 -21, 2008
- Program Committee - The IFIP TC8 International Conference on Research and Practical Issues of Enterprise Information Systems, October 14-16, 2007, Beijing, China
- Technical Committee Member - Semiconductor Manufacturing Automation, IEEE Robotics & Automation Society
- Program Committee, Local Organizing Committee & Cluster Chair (Industry-Research Interface) - INFORMS International Puerto Rico 2007, July 8-11, 2007
- Conference Secretary - 5th International Conference on Managing Innovations in Manufacturing, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 9-11, 2002, etc
- Editorial boards
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Operations Management
- Editors: Special Issues of International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IJISE), 2010
- Co-Editor of First Issue of International Journal of Logistics and Transportation Research (IJLTR)
- Editorial Board Member: Global Journal of Enterprise Information, 2009 – Present
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems (IJORIS), 2008 - Present