Ahad Ali, Ph.D.
Director, Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering (BSIE)
Director, Master of Science in Industrial Engineering (MSIE)
Director, Smart Manufacturing and Lean Systems Research Group
Office: 248-204-2531, Email: email@example.com
Lawrence Technological University
Associate Professor, 2014 – Present
Director, Bachelor of Science in Industrial Operations Engineering (BSIOE): 2015 – Present
Director, Master of Science in Industrial Engineering (MSIE): 2010 – Present
Director, Master of Engineering in Manufacturing Systems, 2014 - 2015
Director, Smart Manufacturing and Lean Systems Research Group, 2012 - Present
Assistant Professor, 2007 – 2013
Assisted - Doctor of Engineering in Manufacturing Systems (DEMS), 2007 – 2012
Assistant Professor, January 2006 – July 2007
Industrial Engineering Department
University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
Visiting Assistant Professor, August 2004 – December 2005
Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
University of Toledo, Ohio
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, April 2004 - August 2004
Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
University of Windsor, Canada
Instructor /Researcher, 2001 - 2003
Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
Research Scholar, 1998 – 2000
Mechanical and Production Engineering
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Trainee, September to October 1997
Energy Technology (Biomass Densification)
Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand
Lecturer, 1995 – 1997
Mechanical Engineering Department
Khulna University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh (former BIT-Khulna)
Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, 2003
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
Dissertation: Multi Constraint based Intelligent Scheduling of Manufacturing Systems
MS in Systems and Engineering Management, 2000
Nanyang Technology University, Singapore
Thesis: Intelligent Modeling and Management for Internal Supply Chain Management
BS in Mechanical Engineering, 1994
Khulna University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh
International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Dubai, UAE, March 3-5, 2015.
KEEN Winter Meeting, Tempe, AZ, January 5-7, 2015
INFORMS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 9-12, 2014
International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Bali, Indonesia, January 7 – 9, 2014.
IIE Annual Conference, Montreal, Canada, May 30-June 3, 2014.
ASEE Annual Conference, Indianapolis, June 2014.
Workshop on Innovating Curriculum with Entrepreneurial Mindset - Focus on Sustainability, Saint Louis University, November 1 – 2, 2012.
IIE Annual Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Orlando, May 19-24, 2012.
International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Istanbul, Turkey, July 3 – 6, 2012.
Mini-Symposium on Modeling and Simulation, Testing and Validation (MSTV) at 2012 Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium (GVSETS), Organized by The Michigan Chapter of the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA), Detroit Marriott – Troy, August 15 – 16, 2012.
Shaping Entrepreneurial Engineers (SEE) Workshop, Kern Family Foundation, San Antonio, TX, June 14, 2012.
IIE Engineering Lean and Six Sigma Conference, Atlanta, September 12-14, 2011.
IIE Annual Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Reno, Nevada, May 21-25. 2011
Cohort: KIT2/KIT3 Theme workshop for PBL, May 16 -19, 2011.
Entrepreneurial Mindset Workshop, May 12, 2011.
International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, January 22 – 24, 2011.
Energy Solutions Conference, Technology & Market Assessment Forum Meeting, ESC, Ren Center, Detroit, June 9-10, 2010.
Industrial Engineering Research Conference, IIE Annual Conference and Expo, Cancun, Mexico, June 5-9. 2010
Entrepreneur Mindset Workshop, May 13, 2010.
Student Organizations Summit on the Environment, Southfield, MI, February 25, 2010
International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Dhaka, Bangladesh, January 9-10, 2010.
IIE - Greater Detroit Chapter's Oliver Wyman’s The Harbour Report Presentation, September 18, 2009.
American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference, Austin, TX, June 14-17, 2009
IIE Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Miami, May 30 – June 3, 1286-1291. 2009
NSF I/URC on Intelligent Maintenance Systems (IMS) – IAB Meeting, IMS IAB meeting, Ford Dearborn Truck Assembly Plant, MI, May 5-6, 2009.
Invention to Venture (I2V) Workshop, UTLC Gallery, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, February 27, 2009.
International Conference on Industrial Engineering Theory, Applications & Practice, Las Vegas, Nevada, Sep. 7- 10. 2008.
SME Annual Conference, Detroit, MI, May 30 - June 2, 2008,
IIE Annual Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 17-21, 2008.
Workshop on e-clip, Wake up Your Students! (with Video and Audio from Cornell University's eClips), Deborah Streeter, Bruce F. Failing, Sr. Professor of Personal Enterprise and Small Business Management in the Department of Applied Economics and Management at Cornell, LTU, May 15, 2008.
Workshop on Imbedded Health Management System for Automotive, organized by NSF Industry University Cooperative Center on Intelligent Maintenance Systems (IMS), Peoria, IL, April 28, 2008.
Hands-on Machinery Diagnostics Measurements using NI Sound & Vibration Assistant and NI CompactDAQ, Peoria, IL, April 28, 2008.
North American Material Handling Show, Cleveland, OH, April 22, 2008.
Midwest DSI Annual Conference, Erie, PA, April 17-19, 2008.
Scholarship of Teaching, Assessment, and Learning (SoTAL) Poster Session, UTLC Gallery, April 15, 2008.
Problem Based Learning (PBL) Workshop: An Introduction to Problem Based Learning, By: Deborah E. Allen, Associate Professor and Undergraduate Programs Director, University of Delaware, LTU, March 28, 2008.
Winter Simulation Conference, Washington DC, December 9-12, 2007.
Int. Symposium and Workshop on Global Supply Chain, Intermodal Transportation and Logistics, Univ. of Toledo, Toledo, OH, Oct. 25-26, 2007.
Michigan Simulation User Group (MSUG) Conference, Management Education Center, Troy, Michigan, September 26, 2007.
IIE/ASQ Lean and Quality Conference, Atlanta, GA, Sept 24 - 25, 2007.
IIE Detroit Professional Chapter Workshops, Harbour Report Presentation, Warren, MI, September 14, 2007.
INFORMS International Meeting 2007, Rio Mar, Puerto Rico, July 8-11, 2007.
Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Nashville, TN. May 19-23, 2007.
13th Industry Advisory Board Meeting, NSF Center for Intelligent Maintenance Systems, Cincinnati, Ohio, May 17-18, 2007.
Concept Inventory Workshop, sponsored by NSF, Washington, DC, May 10-12, 2007.
Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Orlando, May 20-24, 2006.
ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Orlando, Nov 5-11, 2005.
Maynard Operation Sequence Technique (MOST) Certification, Pittsburgh, Aug 8–12, 2005.
7th International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Natural Computing, Salt Lake City, Utah, July 21 - 26, 2005.
Cleveland 2005 Exposition and Conference, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), I-X Center, Cleveland, OH, June 7-9, 2005.
CIRP-sponsored 3rd International Conference on Reconfigurable Manufacturing Conference: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, May 10-12, 2005.
Decision Science Institute (DSI) Annual Meeting, Washington DC, November 22-25, 2003.
AME (Association for Manufacturing Excellence) Annual Conf., Chicago, Nov. 7 –8, 2002.
INFORMS Annual Meeting, Atlanta, October 19-22, 2003.
Industrial Advisory Board (IAB) Meeting of Center for Intelligent Maintenance Systems (IMS), Milwaukee, WI, October 3 - 4, 2002.
5th International Conference on Managing Innovations in Manufacturing, Milwaukee, WI, September 9-11, 2002.
2nd International Workshop on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA 2002), Atlanta, August 7–8, 2002.
11th Annual Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Orlando, Florida, May 19 – 21, 2002.
Entek Training for two full days, Milwaukee, March 20, 2002.
COMPSIM Software Training: Tools for knowledge capture and data weighting and reporting for Decision Making Analysis and Reports, January 17, 2002.
Automod Simulation Training for two full days, Milwaukee, December 2001.
Rockwell Automation Fair, Atlanta, November 13 - 15, 2001.
Training on Rockwell Software RSBizWare Historian (Data collection, Reporting, Analysis, and Visualization), Atlanta, November 13, 2001.
Training on Rockwell PLC control, RSView Supervisory (enables distributed applications that support multiple servers and multiple clients), Introduction to Logix, Atlanta, November 14-15, 2001.
Industrial Advisory Board (IAB) Meeting of Center for IMS, Milwaukee, WI, October 02 - 03, 2001.
NSF Sponsored Workshop on Tether-Free Technologies for E-Manufacturing and E-Maintenance/Service, UWM, Milwaukee, October 1-2, 2001.
Questra Training on A2B (Appliance to Business) platform, Rochester, June 12, 2001.
Siebel eBusiness Essential/Siebel Call Center (CRM), Dallas, May 21–29, 2001.
ERP and eBusiness: Value, Viability and Future Vision of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems and Their Role in Building eBusiness, A full day seminar featuring John Erickson, i2 Technologies, Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, May 30, 2001
Eagle Maintenance Management Software training (3 days), Milwaukee, May 2001.
10th Annual Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Dallas, May 20-22, 2001.
Industrial Advisory Board Meeting of Center for IMS, Milwaukee, April 10 – 11, 2001.
LabView VI Training: March 12, 2001.
National Manufacturing Week Conf., McCormick Complex, Chicago, March 5-6, 2001.
International ICSC Symposium on Multi-Agents and Mobile Agents (MAMA) in Virtual Organizations and E-Commerce, Wollongong, Australia, December 11-13, 2000.
International ICSC (International Computer Science Conventions) Congress on Intelligent Systems and Applications (ISA2000), University of Wollongong, Australia, December 12-15, 2000.
6th International Conference on Agile Intelligent and Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems, RPI, New York, October 7-9, 1998.
Training program on Biomass Densification at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand, September 1997 to October 1997.
Short Course on “Industrial Accident and Safety Management” organized by Institute of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB), 17th August’ 1996 to 22nd August’ 1996.
- Pandian and A. Ali, Automotive Assembly Line Throughput Forecasting using ANN Modeling, Accepted for the Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2014.
- Ertunga C. Ozelkan, M. D. Sarder and Ahad Ali, Back to Fundamentals for a Successful Lean Six Sigma Enterprise Transformation: An Introduction to Jet Special Issue on Case Studies in Lean Enterprise Transformation, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, 4:1–4, 2014. DOI: 10.1080/19488289.2014.899837.
- Ozelkana, C., A. Ali, and M. D. Sarder, Lean Enterprise Transformation is a Business Necessity for Sustainable Growth, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, vol. 3, 3, pp. 133-135, 2013.
- Johnson and A. Ali, Modeling and Simulation of Landmine and Improvised Explosive Device Detection with Multiple Loops, Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, in-press. Published online before print, doi: 10.1177/1548512912457886.
- Pandian and A. Ali, Performance measurement of an Automotive BIW robotic assembly: ARMA modeling, Measuring Business Excellence, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.3 – 21, 2013.
- Shetty, D., L. Manzione, and Ali, Survey of Mechatronic Techniques in Modern Machine Design, Journal of Robotics, vol. 2012, article ID 932305, 9 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/932305.
- Pandit, T. and Ali (in-press) Simulation and reliability analysis of laser-welded blanks after metal surface finishing process. International Journal of Manufacturing, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering.
- Ali, (2012) Simulation intelligence and modeling for manufacturing system uncertainties. International Journal of Modeling, Simulation and Scientific Computing. 3(3): 1250013 (22 pages).
- Krstovski, S. and Ali (2012) Productivity improvement in subsystem of assembly process utilizing simulation. International Journal of Modeling in Operations Management. 2(3): 227–241.
- Ali, , N. Santini, and M. A. Rahman (2012) Kanban supplier system as a standardization method and WIP reduction. International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering. 11(1/2): 179–188.
- Cook, V. and Ali (2012) End-of-line inspection for annoying noises in automobiles: trends and perspectives. Applied Acoustic. 73(3): 265-275.
- Hossain, E., M. R. Khan, and Ali (2011) Design and data analysis for a belt-for-blind for visually impaired people. International Journal of Advanced Mechatronic Systems. 3(5/6): 384 – 397.
- Gojcaj, M. and Ali (2011) Design, simulation and improvement of the end-of-line conveyor system for car rear seatbacks manufacturing. International Journal of Human Factors Modelling and Simulation. 2(3): 222–235.
- Hossain, E., R. Khan, R. Muhida and Ali (2011) State of the art review on walking support system for visually impaired people. International Journal of Biomechatronics and Biomedical Robotics. 1(4): 232–251.
- Hassan, Q. K., Ali, N. Sekhon, and X. Wang (2011) Analysis of potential wind and solar energy at selected airport locations in Canada. International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering. 9(2): 150 – 162.
- Hossain, E., R. Khan, R. Muhida, and A. Ali (2011) Analysis and implementation for a walking support system for visually impaired people. International Journal of Intelligent Mechatronics and Robotics. 1(3): 46-62.
- Blake, J. and Ali (2011) Simulation analysis and performance improvement of engine assembly line. International Journal of Process Systems Engineering. 1(3/4): 288–301.
- Hassan, Q.K., K.M. Rahman, A.S. Haque, and Ali (2011) Solar energy modelling over a residential community in the City of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. International Journal of Photoenergy. ID 216519, 8 pages.
- Shetty, D., Ali, and J. Hill (2011) Instrumentation for vibration measurement and monitoring. International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing. 12(3): 405-411.
- Altayib, K. and Ali (2011) Improvement for alignment process of automotive assembly plant using simulation and design of experiments. International Journal of Experimental Design and Process Optimisation. 2(2): 145–160.
- Pandian, A. and Ali (2011) Automotive robotic body shop simulation for performance improvement using plant feedback. International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering. 7(3): 269-291.
- Polubinski, J. and Ali (2010) Simulation analysis of commercial truck spiral bevel gear process. International Journal of Modeling and Operations Management. 1(2): 197 – 207.
- Shetty, D., Ali, and R. Cummings (2010) Survey-based spreadsheet model on lean implementation. Int. Journal of Lean Six Sigma. 1(4): 310-334.
- Ali, , H. Seifoddini, and J. Lee (2010) Efficient material allocation in high-mix low-volume manufacturing, J. Advanced Manufacturing Systems, 9(2): 101-116.
- Moir, W. and Ali, (2010) Conveyor stop for quality simulation analysis, J. Modelling and Simulation of Systems, 1(4): 197-203.
- Pandian, A. and Ali (2010) A review of recent trends in machine diagnosis and prognosis algorithms, Int. J. Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications, 2: 321-329.
- Cook, V. and Ali (2010) Using net present value methods to evaluate quality improvement projects. Int. J. Quality and Reliability Management. 27(3): 333 – 350.
- Shetty, D., Ali, and J.J. Chapdelaine (2009) A model for the total productive manufacturing assessment and implementation. J. Advanced Manufacturing Systems, 8(2): 117-136.
- Khadem, M., Ali and H. Seifoddini (2008) Efficacy of lean metrics in evaluating the performance of manufacturing system. Int. J. Industrial Engineering - Theory, Applications and Practice. 15(2): 176-184.
- Ali, , Z. Chen and J. Lee (2007) Web-enabled platform for distributed and dynamic decision making systems. Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 38(11): 1260-1270.
- Ali, A., de Souza and Z. Hossain, Intelligent Product Mix and Material Match in Electronics Manufacturing, International Journal of Neural, Parallel and Scientific Computations, vol. 11, pp. 97-118, 2003.
- Ali, A., R. de Souza and A. Kumar, Intelligent Simulation Environment for Printed Circuit Board Assembly, Journal of Electronics Manufacturing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 299 – 311, 1999.
Published more than 100 conference papers
- Ali, A., H. Seifoddini, and J. Lee (2008) Global logistics intelligent decision system of medical equipment manufacturing, Research and Practical Issues of Enterprise Information Systems II, Springer, 1: 111-124.
- Fighting Failure with the Internet: Web-based Collaborative Methods Facilitate the FMEA Process, V. Cook and A. Ali, Industrial Engineer, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 31-36, June 2011.
- A Strategy for Shorter Breakdowns - A ‘Mini-Six Sigma Approach’ can Resolve Downtime Problems, S. Krstovski and A. Ali, Industrial Engineer, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 35-39, August 2012.
- Wheel Repacking Improvement Project, Whelan Co., December 2014 – June 2015, $5,156.
- Received $40 Million in-kind Software Grant on Production Lifecycle Management (PLM), Siemens Software, Award Date – July 10, 2013, $40,191,520.
- Edge CAM in-kind software grant, Tooling Software Technology (TST), LLC, September 2013, $752,453.
- Received KEEN Topical Grant of the Project on Sustainability Module Development in Product Design with collaboration with Gonzaga University, Ohio Northern University and Saint Louis University, Kern Family Foundation, September 2013 – August 2014, $47,000 as PI.
- Received funding for the Project on Die Prep Time Reduction of Stamping Operations, New Center Stamping Inc., 2013 - 2014, $30,000 as PI.
- Industrial Energy Assessment Grant as part of the SME Grant awarded from the U.S. Department of Energy for the Industrial Assessment Center Program (IAC), 2012 – 2013.
- Received a Contract for the Project on Energy Optimization Study Boiler Controller, DTE Energy, Jan 2010 – March 2011, $ 28,130.
- Received a Seed Grant for the Project on Innovative Predictive Machine Failure Methodology Development using Web-enabled e-Manufacturing and Condition Based Monitoring (CBM), LTU Seed Grant, August 2009 – May 2010, $ 3,000.
DOCTORAL STUDENT ADVISING
Gary T. Kraus Jr.
Light Tactical Vehicles at Navistar Defense, Detroit, MI
Paint Bank Sequence Optimization on Assembly in an Automotive Manufacturing Plant
Secure tenure-track assistant professor position at Penn State University – Behrend, Erie
End-of-Line Inspection for Annoying Noises in Automobiles: A Methodology Using Spherical Beamforming
Secure tenure-track assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin-Stout
Robotic Manufacturing System Failure Prediction Methodology Development of an Automotive Assembly
President , Engineering Services & Technical Group, Inc., Southfield, MI
Adjunct, Oakland University
Developing Direct Relationships and Effects of Waste Reduction/Elimination and Operating Performance Measures
Technical Cost Reduction Manager, Chrysler Technical Center, Auburn Hills, MI
Optimization of a Multi-Station, Parallel Machines Robotic Production Cell in Automotive Interior Trim Cover Manufacturing
International Automotive Company (IAC)
Sr. Staff Packaging Engineer - Green Belt
Armstrong Building Products - Technology
Metamodeling and Multi Axis Loss Function for Returnable Containers in an Automotive Parts Closed Loop Supply Chain System
Heuristic and Simulation based Optimal Dispatching Rules for Gantry Systems in Automotive Applications
Door Forming Optimization for Reliability and Cost
Intelligent Product Mix Optimization and FMS in Automotive Manufacturing
DEMS Dissertation Committee Member
- Innovative Application of Deformation Resistance Welding (DRW) in Reducing Cycle Time and Structural Weight of Armored Vehicles, Michael J. Storinsky, DEMS Dissertation.
Founder and Conference Chair, International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations ManagementÔ (IEOM)
- Fifth IEOM 2015 at Hyatt Regency Dubai, March 3-5, 2015
- Fourth IEOM at Grand Hyatt Bali, Indonesia, January 7-9, 2014.
- Third IEOM in Istanbul, Turkey, July 3-6, 2012. It was run through Lawrence Tech with participation / submission from 59 countries, attendance 300+.
- Second IEOM in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, January 22-24, 2011.
- First IEOM in Dhaka, Bangladesh, January 9-10, 2010.
Academic Chair, IIE (Institute of Industrial Engineers) Engineering Lean and Six Sigma Conference, Atlanta, October 11-12, 2011.
Academic Chair Emeritus, IIE (Institute of Industrial Engineers) Engineering Lean & Six Sigma Conference, Louisville, Kentucky, October 1-3, 2012.
Lean Division and Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE)
Past-President, IIE Lean Division, 2011-2012
President, IIE Lean Division, 2009 - 2011
Director: IIE Lean Division, 2007 – 2008
Chair, Lean Student Paper Competition sponsored by J T. and Carol S. Black, IIE Lean Division, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Hosting IIE Detroit’s Annual Habour Report Presentations at Lawrence Tech, October 23, 2012 and October 18, 2011
VP Public Relations: IIE Detroit Professional Chapter, 2008-2009.
Judge: IIE Detroit Professional Chapter Student Paper Competition, Oakland University, January 26, 2008.
Co-Chair: Poster Activity, SME Annual Meeting, Detroit, MI, May 31 - June 3, 2008.
NASA Academy of Aerospace Quality (AAQ) Group
NASA Academy of Aerospace Quality (AAQ) Mini-Workshop, Held in Conjunction with NASA Quality Leadership Forum (QLF) March 22, 2012 Radisson at the Port Resort, Cape Canaveral, Florida.
NASA Academy of Aerospace Quality (AAQ) Mini-Workshop, Held in Conjunction with NASA Quality Leadership Forum (QLF), March 17, 2011 Radisson at the Port Resort, Cape Canaveral, Florida.
NASA Academy of Aerospace Quality (AAQ) Breakout Session, Kennedy Space Center, FL, March 19, 2009.
NASA Academy of Aerospace Quality (AAQ) Breakout Session, Cape Canaveral, Florida, March 29, 2007.
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, 2012 – present.
Co-Guest Editor, Special Issue on Lean Enterprise Transformation for Enterprise Transformation Journal, 2012.
Editor: Special Issue of International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineers, Vol. 11, Nos. 1/2, 2012.
Co-Editor: International Journal of Logistics and Transportation Research, vol. 1, no. 1, 2010.
Editorial Board Member: Global Journal of Enterprise Information, 2009 - present.
Editorial Board Member: International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems, 2010 - present.
Scientific and Professional Society Member:
- IIE: Institute of Industrial Engineers
- IEOM Society
- SME: Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- INFORMS: Institute for Operations Research and Management Science
- DSI: Decision Science Institute