Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Associate Professor
Engineering Dean's Office
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University
- MPhil, Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University
- MS, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Middle East Technical University
Courses And Advising
- Co-Advisor, ASME Student Chapter
- EGE 3003 - Thermodynamics
- EME 4013 - Heat Transfer
- EME 4613 - Introduction to Thermal Systems
- EME 5253 - Engineering Analysis I
- EME 5263 - Transport Phenomena II
- EME 5153 - Applied Thermodynamics
- EME 6223 - Conduction Heat Transfer
- Thermal sciences and energy systems
- Power MEMS
- Design, analytical modeling and experimental study of flow boiling in non-uniform microchannels, demonstrating the ability to provide a stable flow of evaporated fluid
- Research and design in low Reynolds number micro-turbomachinery
- Research in microfluidics, micropower systems and heat transfer
- Development of microfabrication process flows and techniques including: deep reactive ion etching (DRIE), photolithography with infrared aligner, thermal evaporation, sputtering, anodic bonding and scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- Arslan, S., Azarkish, H., Behzademhr, A., Frechette, L., Sheikholeslami, T., & Sarvari, M. (2014). “Numerical and Experimental Investigation on a Shaped Microchannel Evaporator to Provide Stable Evaporation Rate”. Journal Of Heat And Mass Transfer, submitted.
- Jawad, B., Arslan, S., “Cylinder Head Intake Flow Analysis”, SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6(1):132-136, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1409.
- Gabbasa, A., Jawad B., Liu, L., Arslan, S., “Numerical Study of the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Multi-Element Airfoil NACA 23012”, SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 6(1):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1410.
- Lee, C., Arslan, S., Fréchette, L. G., “Design Principles and Measured Performance of Multi-Stage Radial Flow Microturbomachinery at Low Reynolds Number”, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 130, 111103 (November 2008).
- Mynderse, J., Arslan, S., Liu, L. (2014). “Using a Funded Capstone Project to Teach Fluid Power and Advanced Mechanical Design”. Proceedings of ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, IMECE 2014, November 2014.
- Gabbasa, A., Arslan, S., Jawad, B., Gerhart, A. (2014) “Aerodynamic Shape Optimization for a 3-D Multi- Element Airfoil” 2014 SAE World Congress Technical Paper, April 2014.
- Gabbasa, A., Jawad, B., Liu, L., Arslan, S., Gerhart, A. (2014). “Shape Optimization of Multi-Element Airfoil Using Morphing Deformation”. 2014 SAE World Congress Technical Paper, April 2014
- Mynderse, J., Liu, L., Arslan, S. (2014). “Senior Capstone Project: A Gantry Crane Utilizing Fluid Power”. Proceedings of ASEE North Central Section Conference, 2014.
- Azarkish, H., Arslan, S., Behzadmehr, A., & Frechette, L. (2013). “Modeling and Design of a Micro Evaporator for a Micro Rankine Cycle”, ASME (IMECE’13) Congress & Exposition, Poster Session, November 2013.
- Jawad, B.,Arslan S., “A Mechanism to Interpret Diesel Fuel Atomization as it is Injected into an Engine Combustion Chamber”, SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1411, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1411.
Honors And Awards
- Faculty Member of the Year, the Mary E. and Richard E. Marburger Fund For Excellence in Achievement Awards, Lawrence Technological University, 2014
- Faculty Research Seed Grant Award, Lawrence Technological University, 2011
- Extraordinary Teaching Assistant Award, Columbia University, Spring 2003
- Extraordinary Teaching Assistant Award, Columbia University, Fall 2002
Activities And Service
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Member, Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems
- Journal of Multiphase Flow
- International Joint Power Generation Conference
- NSF SBIR/STTR panel