Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and ResearchAssociate Professor in Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China
Courses And Advising
- Advisor, SAE Supermileage Competition Team
- Co-Advisor, SAE Collegiate Chapter
- Co-Advisor, Blue Devil Motorsports
- EME 3123 – Fluid Mechanics
- EME 4013 – Heat Transfer
- EGE 3012 – Engineering Cost Analysis
- EME 5273 – Heat Pipes
- EME 5353 – Transport Phenomena I
- EME 5363 – Transport Phenomena II
- EME 6113 – Viscous Flow
- Thermal sciences and energy
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Particle image velocimetry (PIV)
- HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Condensation & boiling on engineered surfaces
- Edalatpour, M., Liu, L., Jacobi, A. M., Eid, K. F., and Sommers, A. D., 2018, “Facilitating the Movement of Water Droplets on Heat Transfer Surfaces: A Critical Review of Surface Wettability Modification Techniques relevant to Applications,” Applied Energy, 222, pp. 967-992.
- Morjan, S., Jawad, B. A., and Liu, L., 2017, “Investigation of the Effect of Vortex Generation on Flow Structure and Heat Transfer Enhancement Using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)”, In 2017 SAE World Congress & Exhibition.
- Gao, J., Zhao, J., Liu, L., and Xue, W., 2016, “Dimensional Effects of Polymer Pillar Arrays on Hydrophobicity,” Surface Engineering, 32(2), pp. 125-131.
- Liu, L., Mynderse, J., Gerhart, A. L., and Arslan, S., 2015, “Fostering the Entrepreneurial Mindset in the Junior and Senior Mechanical Engineering Curriculum with a Multi-Course Problem-based Learning Experience,” In 45th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, El Paso, TX.
- He, J., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2014, "Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Surface Convection Enhancement by a V-Formation Delta-Winglet Array in a Developing Channel Flow," ASHRAE Transactions, 120(2), pp. 107-117.
- Gabbasa, A. Jawad, B., Liu, L., and Arslan, S., 2013, "Numerical Study of the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Multi-Element Airfoil NACA 23012," SAE International Journal of Aerospace, 6(1), doi: 10.4271/2013-01-1410.
- Liu, L., Kim, E. S., Park, Y., and Jacobi, A. M., 2012, “The Potential Impact of Nano-Fluid Enhancements on the Performance of Heat Exchangers,” Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 33(1), pp. 31-41.
- He, J., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2011, “Conjugate Thermal Analysis of Air-Cooled Discrete Flush-Mounted Heat Sources in a Horizontal Channel”, Journal of Electronic Packaging, 133, No. 041001.
- Park, Y., Liu, L., and Jacobi, A. M., 2010, “Rational Approaches for Combining Redundant, Independent Measurements to Minimize Combined Experimental Uncertainty,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 34(6), pp. 720-724.
- Liu, L. and Jacobi, A. M., 2009, “Air-Side Surface Wettability Effects on the Performance of Slit-Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchangers Operating under Wet-Surface Conditions,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 131, No. 051802.
- Liu, L. and Jacobi, A. M., 2009, “A Surface Embossing Technique to Create Micro-Grooves on Aluminum Fin Stock for Drainage Enhancement,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 19, No. 035026.
Honors And Awards
- Faculty Member of the Year, Mary E. and Richard E. Marburger Fund for Excellence in Achievement, Lawrence Technological University, 2017
- SAE Outstanding Faculty Advisor, SAE International, 2016
- Faculty Research Seed Grant Award, Lawrence Technological University, 2015
- Ralph R. Teeter Educational Award, SAE International, 2014
- Faculty Research Seed Grant Award, Lawrence Technological University, 2012
- ExCEEd Teaching Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2011
- Faculty Research Seed Grant Award, Lawrence Technological University, 2010
Activities And Service
- Member, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Secretary, Technical Committee 1.1 (Thermodynamics and Psychrometrics)
- Session Chair, ASHRAE Winter Conference, Jan 2012, Chicago, IL
- President, ASHRAE Student Branch, University of Illinois: Sep 2006 – Sep 2009
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Session Co-organizer, ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, CA
- Member, SAE International
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Reviewer: International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, International Journal of Refrigeration, Journal of Heat Transfer, Applied Thermal Engineering, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, ASHRAE Transactions, etc.