When Scheduling the Session
As you are scheduling a meeting you can click on the check box under Meeting Options to Record the meeting automatically and save it either to your local computer or to the cloud.
Once you start the Zoom session, recording begins automatically. You can pause or stop and any time.
When the meeting is over, click stop recording, and the recording will automatically start to process. When complete the file is save locally to This PC, Documents, Zoom folder. Select "End Meeting for All"
During Meeting Session
By default, only the host of the session is allowed to record the meeting in Zoom.
Once the meeting is launched and the participants are present, you can start recording the meeting by selecting the “Record” button at the bottom of the window. Alternatively, you can use the Alt+R shortcut key.
The recording will now begin. You can pause the recording by selecting the Pause button (or use Alt+P) or end the recording by selecting the Stop button (or use Alt+R).
When the meeting is over, click stop recording. and the recording will automatically start to process.
Saving to Zoom Cloud
LTU is charged for excessive storage, but there may still be a way to maximize the value of the
Zoom Cloud and use “save to” Zoom Cloud as a "temporary landing” option!
Set Zoom Recording Options to Cloud Recording
- The recording ‘saving’ process takes less time and
- Don't have to be concerned about turning off computer
- No waiting for conversion to download
- Get an email when ready (no wondering) - example of email:
Hi .. Your cloud recording is now available.
Topic: Training Site
Date: 2020 07:38 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
For host only, click here to view your recording detail (viewers cannot access this page): https://ltu.zoom.us/recording/detail?meeting_id=U%2BH3vELbStSOBRknyTjAdw%3D%3D
- No need to "find" where the file was stored - located in Zoom “Cloud Recordings”
- Click inside the recording icon to open and play. Click Download at top right in browser window.
- Once downloaded, rename the default name ‘GMT2020xx.mp4’ to a specific name; class 3078 session April 18
- Upload to shared Google Drive folder, Kaltura My Media, or YouTube
- Use the shared link in your Canvas course
The IMPORTANT Step!
DELETE the recording from Cloud storage. This can be
done in Canvas or from the link in the email
- Log into your LTU account go to Google Drive
- Select New and Folder. Type in a name for the folder; e.g., Course_04 Zoom Sessions.
- Now you need to set folder permissions so that students can open / view.
- Right-click on the created folder, select +Share. Select the permission for “Anyone at Lawrence Tech with link can view”. This allows your students logged into Canvas or their LTU email to view the recordings in the folder with the link
Upload/save the Zoom MP4 file to this Google Drive folder
When Zoom saves the session to local computer, it places the recording on your local computer under “This PC, Documents, Zoom
- Select +New, File Upload
- Select Zoom MP4 file or drag/drop file to the folder. Although uploaded to Google, it may take a while for the processing of the video to load/finish due to the size of recording.
- Once upload completes, make sure it is shared - right-click the file and set to anyone at LTU with link can view.
Add to Canvas
- Log into a Canvas Course and select Modules
- Select the module desired or create +Module, type in a name (make sure module is Published) or students will not be able to see
- To the right of this module, select the + Add Item. Click the down arrow to right of Add
- Select External URL from Google share file
- Copy the URL from the Google file (see above) and paste in URL. Place a checkmark in Load in new tab
- Remember to Add Item