When Scheduling the Session
To start recording as soon as the session begins, select "Record the meeting automatically" under Meeting Options. Saving the session to your local computer will download and store the recording as an mp4 file located in your computer's Documents folder, Zoom folder, and dated folder. The file inside has a "generic" name Zoom_0 (rename the file with a more descriptive name by selecting the file, right-click, and rename)
Once you start the Zoom session, recording begins automatically. You can pause or stop and any time.
When the meeting is over and you select to end meeting (or stop recording), the recording conversion will begin. Do not 'Stop conversion' until finished and you have selected local folder to save the file. When complete the file is save locally.
During Meeting Session
By default, only the host of the session is allowed to record the meeting in Zoom.
Once the meeting is launched and the participants are present, you can start recording the meeting by selecting the “Record” button at the bottom of the window. Alternatively, you can use the Alt+R shortcut key.
The recording will now begin. You can pause the recording by selecting the Pause button (or use Alt+P) or end the recording by selecting the Stop button (or use Alt+R).
When the meeting is over, click stop recording. and the recording will automatically start to process.
Saving to Zoom Cloud
LTU is charged for excessive storage, but there may still be a way to maximize the value of the
Zoom Cloud and use “save to” Zoom Cloud as a "temporary landing” option!
Set Zoom Recording Options to Cloud Recording
- The recording ‘saving’ process takes less time and
- Don't have to be concerned about turning off computer
- No waiting for conversion to download
- Get an email when ready (no wondering) - example of email:
Hi .. Your cloud recording is now available.
Topic: Training Site
Date: 2020 07:38 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
For host only, click here to view your recording detail (viewers cannot access this page): https://ltu.zoom.us/recording/detail?meeting_id=U%2BH3vELbStSOBRknyTjAdw%3D%3D
- No need to "find" where the file was stored - located in Zoom “Cloud Recordings”
- Click inside the recording icon to open and play. Click Download at top right in browser window.
- Once downloaded, rename the default name ‘GMT2020xx.mp4’ to a specific name; class 3078 session April 18
- Upload to shared Google Drive folder, Kaltura My Media, or YouTube
- Use the shared link in your Canvas course
The IMPORTANT Step!
DELETE the recording from Cloud storage. This can be
done in Canvas or from the link in the email
Google Drive: Create Shared Folder for Recordings
- Log into your LTU account go to Google Drive
- Select New, Folder. Type in a name for the folder; e.g., Course_04 Zoom Sessions.
- Set folder permissions so that students can open / view files by right-clicking on the created folder, select +Share. Select the permission for “Anyone at Lawrence Tech with link can view”. This allows your students logged into Canvas or their LTU email to view the recordings in the folder with the link
Upload/save the Zoom MP4 files to this Google Drive folder
Need to upload the saved local recording to the Google Drive folder. From Google Drive, select +New, File Upload
- Select Zoom MP4 file (if downloaded from Cloud recording the file name will look like "GMT20201118-xxx_crn#xx_1080.mp4"). Rename the file (right-click the filename, select rename, and type in a new name) then upload or drag/drop file to the shared Google Drive folder. (Although uploaded to Google, it may take a while for the processing of the video to load/finish due to the size of recording)
- Once upload completes, make sure it is shared - right-click the file and set to anyone at LTU with link can view.
Add to Canvas
- You can now add the shared link to Canvas in Announcements, a page, or a module. Using modules as an example:
- Log into a Canvas Course and select Modules
- Select the module desired or create +Module, type in a name (make sure module is Published) or students will not be able to see
- To the right of this module, select the + Add Item. Click the down arrow to right of Add
- Select External URL from Google share file
- Copy the URL from the Google file (see above) and paste in URL. Place a check mark in Load in new tab
- Remember to Add Item