Create Breakout Rooms for Zoom Sessions
Breakout rooms allow you to split your Zoom meeting in up to 50 separate sessions. The meeting host can choose to split the participants of the meeting into these separate sessions automatically or manually, and can switch between sessions at any time.
Set up in Zoom Portal
- Log into Zoom.us from a web browser
- Sign in with Google
- Select Settings / Meetings
- Scroll down and under Meeting options make sure the option is toggled to on
Start the Zoom Session
Once you start your Zoom Session, select Breakout Rooms icon on menu bar.
Select the number of rooms you would like to create, and how you would like to assign your participants to those rooms:
- Automatically: Let Zoom split your participants up evenly into each of the rooms.
- Manually: Choose which participants you would like in each room.
- Click Create Rooms.
Your rooms will be created. To add additional rooms, click “Add a Room”
To move participants to rooms, click “Open All Rooms”
Once the breakout rooms have been started, the participants will be asked to join their assign breakout room. The host will stay in the main meeting until joining a session manually, to leave a session make sure to select Leave (not Leave Meeting).
If a participant has not joined the session yet, it will be noted by (not joined) next to their name.
For more information go to Zoom support article: managing Zoom breakout rooms.
Adding Break Out Rooms in Zoom
Log into Zoom.us to create a Zoom session and add breakout rooms.
Note: breakout rooms option not available within the Canvas Zoom interface.
- Select Schedule a Meeting
You can schedule a meeting from the Zoom.us portal. Select Meetings, Schedule a New Meeting and select options.
- Create Rooms: Manually create room and add users to room; or,
- Import from CSV: This allows you to set up and create an Excel CSV file where room name information and participants email can be saved
Creating Breakout Rooms using CSV Import option (template) file
- Click Import from CSV. Select click to ‘download’ and ‘open with’ the template
Add room name and users to Excel sheet and save locally
- Save the file as type ‘CSV’ (Comma delimited) and to a location (e.g., desktop or documents)
Upload CSV file to Zoom session
- Back in Zoom.us and settings, re-select “Import from CSV”
Drag/drop or browse for the saved CSV file. Make sure to Save