Kaltura Lecture Capture
Record videos (computer screen, voice, webcam) on your computer and then share (upload) these recordings in your Canvas course using Kaltura Capture. Integrated in Canvas, Kaltura is available for download, install, and access within your Canvas course. There are three steps to get started using Kaltura:
Log into Canvas. Choose your course, you will see two additional course navigation buttons My Media and Media Gallery
My Media: This is your personal folder, recording storage folder, and the repository for your recordings. It is available from any of your Canvas courses.
Media Gallery: Course specific. Publishing a recording in the course makes the recording available to course participants.
- Select My Media from the navigation bar
- Click Add New (top right hand of page) to expand.
- Select Kaltura Capture. On next screen under "Using Kaltura Capture for the first time?", select either Download for Windows or Download for Mac.
- Double-click or select the download file to install. Once installed, either refresh the Canvas screen, or click My Media again. You are now ready to create new Kaltura recordings
Select My Media from course navigation
Click on Add New, Kaltura Capture, select Open Kaltura Capture
The Kaltura Desktop recorder opens. Verify settings for Screen, Camera, and Audio
Click the red Record button. Click Stop recording when done.
You can then preview recording and select the option to Delete record and start over; Save & Upload (saves to Canvas); or Save (locally only)
Recording a PowerPoint presentation?
- Open presentation in Slide Show view. Alt+Tab to Kaltura recorder, verify that preview screen shows presentation, begin recording
Review, Save and Upload recording to Canvas My Media
The Kaltura Review screen opens when the recording is stopped. On this screen, you will:
- Type in an actual title of the video (do not just accept the generic title!)
- Type in a description of the video!
- Add ‘tags’ (metadata) that allow others to locate and find much easier! Tags examples may be: course, instructor name, chapter, subject, etc.
- Preview the video before you Save & Upload or Save!
When you Save & Upload, the recording uploads to your My Media folder in Canvas. Publishing the video to a course, is quite simple.
Publish to Canvas
Recordings are not available to users until you add the video to Media Gallery.
Log into Canvas, select Media Gallery. Select +Media at top right. A listing of your recordings in My Media displays. Place a check in the box to the left of the recording(s) you want to add to the course. Scroll up and select Publish. (note, this may not show immediately – remember, depending on size may take a bit)
The Kaltura Video Editor
The Kaltura Editor provides a number of ‘tools’ that you can use within your video
- The Quiz tab to create and edit interactive video quizzes
- The Editor tab to trim or clip media, and also to chop and splice media
- The Hotspots tab to create add time-based labels or comments, with or without hyperlinks, displayed at the top of the video while playing on your entry
- The Help tab contains tips and accessibility information
- The Return tab that cancels and returns you to My Media
Use the Editor option to remove the beginning or end from a video clip and remove sections in the middle of a video
Trimming beginning and the end of a video
- Want to cut (remove) the beginning of the video and remove the end of the video?
- Go to My Media, select the ‘pencil’ (edit icon) to the right of the video you want to edit
- Select Launch Editor from the editor screen
- Move the timeline trim tab (yellow tab) to the point where you want the video to start
- Click the Set In, the [ bracket, the beginning is deleted
- Move the timeline trim tab to the point where you want the video to end
- Click the Set Out, the ] bracket - the end is removed
You have just trimmed the beginning/end
Cut out a segment of video
- Move the timeline trim tab (yellow tab) to the point where you want to start the cut
- Click on the ‘scissors’ to Split
- Move the timeline trim tab (yellow tab) to the point where you want to end the cut
- Click on the ‘scissors’ again to Split
- Now just click the ‘trash can’ to delete the segment
Save a Copy
- Ensure to always ‘Err on the side of Caution’ and save a copy of the video just in case!
- Select “Save a Copy” from the top right of the Editor screen
- Type in a title (can keep the same title and just add ‘revised’ if desired)
- Click Create. Now you have the edited video and you still have the original. You are finished!
For video tutorials visit Kaltura Learning for Canvas