What is DUO?
In our efforts to provide continuing cyber security improvements, LTU has implemented two-factor authentication (2FA) on several different systems for LTU resources using a service call DUO . This service will provide two-factor authentication on many of our other proprietary and business critical applications, including VPN, Banner Forms, etc.
Duo allows LTU to verify the identity of all users with effective, strong authentication (two-factor authentication) before granting access to University applications and resources. Check your app store to download the DUO app.
For more information please visit: Duo Enrollment
You will have received an enrollment email from email@example.com with the subject “Duo Security Enrollment”. Click the link in the email to start the process. Here is a sample of the email you will receive:
Duo Security < firstname.lastname@example.org >
SUBJECT: LTU 2-Factor/Duo Security Enrollment
Lawrence Tech is now rolling out Duo Security, a friendly and secure way for you to log into LTU's applications. We have invited you to set up your account for Duo so you can start logging in.
To begin, click this link to enroll a phone, tablet, or other device:
< enrollment-link >
Duo Security is a two-factor authentication service that strives to be easy to use and secure. To learn more about Duo authentication, visit the guide here:
< guide-link >
- This will take you to the LTU Duo enrollment site. Click to start setup.
- Select the type of device to be used with Duo. Using the Duo Mobile app on a mobile phone is recommended for ease of use, and provides additional functionality. Other options are to receive SMS text messages, mobile or landline calls, or use a physical authentication token. However, these methods are not as user-friendly and incur additional costs to the university for each authentication.
- For enrollment of a mobile phone, enter and verify the phone number.
- iPhone, Android, and Windows Phones can receive a push from the Duo app. Other cell phones work by receiving a code via SMS text message.
- Install the Duo Mobile app by searching your phone’s app store for “Duo Mobile”. Then click “I have Duo Mobile installed”.
- You can use the phone’s camera to scan the QR-code displayed on the computer screen and simplify the activation process. Alternatively, you can select to have an activation link emailed.
- On your phone launch the Duo app and select “Get Started”.
- Align the camera view on the phone to fit the QR-code on the computer screen. It should scan within a few seconds.
- The activation screen on the computer will indicate when the barcode is recognized on the phone.
- Once activated, set your default Duo authentication setting. It is recommended to select “Ask me to choose an authentication method” to reduce potential problems when using multiple applications.