You can weight final grades based Assignment Groups. Assignment groups allow you to set a percentage to groups of assignments (not the assignments themselves) in that category. The assignment group percentage is calculated by dividing the total points a student has earned by the total points possible for all assignments in that group.
- From course navigation, select Assignments. If you have not added assignments you will notice that the course already contains one “generic” default category Assignments (yes, this name can be changed by clicking on the 3 dots to the right of the Assignments name, select Edit, rename, and save)
- Click on the 3 dots new to +Assignment (1) and then Assignment Groups Weight (2) and click “Weight final grade based on assignment groups” (3)
- To create another category, select +Group (1) to open "Add Assignment Group” window. Type in the Group Name (2) desired; e.g., Tests. Type the % amount of total grade (3) and select Save (4)
- Now have different categories that you use to create applicable graded assessments
Adding the Weighting % to each
- Select the 3 dots at the top of the Assignment page and select Assignment Group Weight to open
- Place a check in “Weight final grade based on assignment groups” (1) to expand the individual groups you created.
- Type in the percentage amount you want to assign (2). As you move to the next category Canvas will total the % (make sure this add to 100%).
- When done, click Save (3)