You can create a group assignment by using the Group Assignment checkbox. Canvas uses group sets to assign group assignments, and each group within the group set that is assigned to the assignment is required to complete the assignment. When creating or editing a group assignment, you can assign an assignment to specific groups. You can also set different due dates and availability dates for a group within an assignment that is assigned to the rest of the class.
- In group assignments, one submission will count for the entire group.
- In group assignments, all students should be assigned to groups before the assignment is published. Grades and submissions may be affected for students who were not in a group at the time of assignment submission but who were later added to a group.
- In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
- Click the +Assignment button.
Start creating the assignment
- Click the This is a Group Assignment checkbox.
- You can choose to assign grades to students individually by selecting the Assign grades to each student individually checkbox.
Note: If this box is left unchecked, all the students in the group will receive the same grade.
- To select an existing group set, click the Group Set drop-down menu. To create a new group category, click the New Group Category button.
Note: It is recommended to create groups ahead of time.
If you need to assign different due dates for groups see Date Extensions page.
Save or Save & Publish