Using Canvas File Structure
What are Canvas Files?
Canvas files allow you to upload and store files, documents, lectures and multimedia files within Canvas (Canvas cloud). You can upload one or multiple files, view all details about your files, preview files, publish and un-publish files, set usage rights, and restrict access to files.
Canvas Files Structure?
There are three types of file storage available in Canvas:
- Personal files that are only you can access and share (or the logged in user, (both instructors and students have a Personal File folder). From Global Navigation select Files from Account option
- Course files that you access by selecting Files from the course navigation; and
Group files located in each group where you are a member. The group file folder will only appear if you are a member (or have created groups) within a course
Manage FilesHow do I manage these files/folders?
Before you get too deep into adding more files to your course, let’s look at how to organize and structure your course (this will save you so much time later!!!Instead of uploading all your files under "main" course folder, create tailored folders that you use to organize your files. Click on the +Folder (top-right on Files). Type in a name for the folder (lectures, images, week 1 material, etc.) then when you upload a file select to place the upload in that folder! Nice and neat!!
Move files into folders
- To move individual files into the folder you created above, just click the down arrow (appears when you hover over the filename) to the right of the file's "cog wheel"
- Select Move and select folder; or "drag/drop" the file into the desired folder. Now when you want to link a file in a course area, all you need do is to be in Edit mode, select Files tab, select folder name, and locate the needed filename.
- Go to the course Module where you want to place the file, to the right of the main Module title, click the +. Need to create the module? Go to Create Modules for steps
- This opens the Add Item pane. Click the down arrow and on the expanded option select File. You now see all files that you've added in your Course.
- Select the specific file you want and click Add Item.