Announcements are used posting time-sensitive, important course information such as a class cancellation, or a new Assignment posting.
Conversation (or Inbox) messages can be used for lengthier exchanges between instructors and students (e.g. questions about a class procedures, or conversation that should only be shared individually).
Messages sent from either of these options are delivered to the student's LTU email account.
Instructors and TAs can create Announcements in a Canvas course by selecting Announcements from the course navigation area.
- Click +Announcements
- Type in Announcement text which can include images, audio/video recorded message, and files
- Options: defaults are all set to no but you can opt to change:
- Delay Posting (use date calendar if you want the announcement to be displayed on and after a certain date)
- Users must post before seeing replies
- Enable podcast feed
- Allow liking
- Click Save
- Click on Settings in the Course Navigation.
- Scroll down in the Course Details until you see more options
- Click more options
- Click the checkbox 'Show recent announcements on Course home page'
The default shown will be 3 but you may change to your needs.
When and how do students receive announcements I post?
If students have not changed their default notification preferences, they will receive an email to their @ltu.edu mail when you create the announcements