Canvas is a modern educational platform that supports a deep focus on teaching and learning. The robust features of Canvas help to enhance teaching and learning beyond the physical classroom.
Suggested Minimum Internet Connection for Online/Hybrid Courses
Test your internet connection using https://www.speedtest.net/
- Recommended Internet speeds:
- Ping response is less than 100ms
- Download speed is at least 10Mbps (how fast can I download documents/media/files to my computer)
- Upload speed is at least 2Mbps (how fast can I upload documents/media/files to Canvas)
- Consider the following while participating in online/hydrid courses:
- Using shared Internet connection will impact your connectivity. If others in the household are streaming movies, gaming, and other internet usage, this will affect your connectivity.
- Wireless connections may be impacted by the distance from the router and interference from microwaves and other electronics. (If at all possible, wired connections are recommended (ethernet cabling directly from router)
- Your Internet Service Provider’s performance may vary throughout the day based on community usage
- You should also contact your Internet Service Provider if you are having connection issues as they can run remote tests and identify any equipment that might be slowing your connection.
The latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari are all good choices for working in Canvas. Important note If you need help downloading one of these browsers, our Help Desk Support staff will be able to assist you. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-204-2330
Suggestion: It is always a good practice to have more than just one browser installed on your computer. If you have Google Chrome and are having issues - before calling for help - try using Mozilla Firefox or Safari. Sometimes it may just be a browser issue with cookies, security settings, or privacy settings. This may be resolved by switching to another browser!
New to Canvas?
Watch the 4 minute video below that introduces you to Canvas and provides a brief overview of features.
- Assignments Overview (Students)
- Assignment Submissions (Students)
- Calendar (Students)
- Canvas Student for iOS
- Canvas Student for Android
- Canvas Overview (Students)
- Chat (Students)
- Collaborations (Students)
- Communication (Students)
- Discussions (Students)
- ePortfolios (Students)
- Files (Students)
- Grades (Students)
- Groups: Creation & Interaction (Students)
- Peer Reviews (Students)
- Quizzes (Students)