New Features, Changes and Enhancements
FALL 2016 UPDATES
NEW Student Preview
With student preview, you can experience your course exactly as your students do. While in student preview mode, you can do the following student activities:
- Submit assignments
- Take tests
- Create blog and discussion posts
- Create journal and wiki entries
- View student tools, such as My Grades
Student preview is different from using Edit Mode. While Edit Mode hides your edit controls Student Preview allows you to experience your course as your students will. In Student Preview you can test your user, group, grade, and review status adaptive release criteria to make sure it releases content when you want it to.
To access Student Preview
- Click the icon located to the left of Edit Mode option
- Blackboard will generate "Entering Student View" confirmation
- When student preview is active you will see "Student Preview Mode is On"
- You can now view your course (yes, even what student sees on MyGrades page) as a student
- When you are done, you must select the Exit Preview option to return to normal view
Safe Assignment Integration within Assignments
Safe Assignments are now integrated within the Assignment option. With this integration, instructors select whether the assignment is "regular" graded assignment or an assignment that will be checked for plagiarism using SafeAssign. This inclusion allows for multiple SafeAssign attempts, the ability to grade the SafeAssign using the In-Line Grade option in the Grade Center (while using the Originality Report), and set up SafeAssign for a Group assignment.
What is does not do. The icon that previous identified an assignment as a Safe Assignment now longer displays so when you create a SafeAssign make sure that you identify the assignment as a Safe Assignment either by adding the identifier in the name or in the instructions.
Global Navigation, My Blackboard and Notifications
- Global Navigation provides an aggregate view across these areas such as Posts and Calendar.
- The Notification system automatically alerts you when events occur in your courses which can be configured within Global Navigation.
- Replacing the old Early Warning System, the new Retention System provides instructors a way to identify, monitor and connect with "at risk" students earlier in the semester.
Inline Assignment Grading
- Student assignments can be viewed and graded within the browser without having to download the document.
- Word, PowerPoint, Excel and PDF are viewable with formatting and embedded images of the original document preserved.
- Instructors can add comments, grading notes and grade assignment in one place.
Updated Rubrics (percentage range)
- Updated Rubrics include Percentage Range along with Points Range. The Percentage Range options allows a single rubric to work with any assignment.
Updated Discussion Board Enhancements
- The Discussion Board forums/threads have taken on a new look which allow you to reply directly within the post.
- New discussion board posts will appear within the Global Navigation area
- Settings have been updated that require participants to create/submit an initial post before they are permitted to read/reply to other posts
Updated Content (Text) Editor
- Now copy/paste from Word/Excel with formatting preserved.
- Includes an update to the existing Math editor
- Also includes the NEW Video Everywhere features that allows users to record (and reuse) video captured from webcam, upload directly to YouTube, and incorporate in Blackboard.
Updated Assessment (Tests options, Item Analysis)
- Test Availability Exceptions allow instructors to select different options for test attempts; dates/times for individual students/groups
- Watch the video
- Test Access Log gives instructors the ability to confirm whether students began a test or ran into problem during the test with access to detailed information on the student attempt
- Watch the video
- Item analysis provides statistics on overall test performance and on individual test questions.The data can be used to improve questions or adjust credit on current attempts.
- Watch the video