Post positions through Handshake using the "LTU Employment" account. Applications are directly submitted to the hiring supervisor through the portal.
Once a candidate is interviewed and selected, hiring paperwork is sent to the candidate via DocuSign (see instructions below).
DocuSign now automatically sends the documents following the correct hiring procedure:
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents:
Hiring Department > Provost Office > Human Resources > Financial Aid
International Applicants (including Canada):
Hiring Department > Provost Office > Human Resources
With the student hiring packet, all official documents are sent to the student via DocuSign.
Log into DocuSign (www.docusign.com) > Select "Templates" > Expand "Shared Folders" > Expand the "Human Resource" Folder. The following envelopes will need to be opened and sent to the students email:
Select ENVELOPE 3 for RPA
Select ENVELOPE 02.5 for the Application for Employment
Select ENVELOPE 4 for New Hire Paperwork Work Study
Hiring Paperwork (Domestic Students)
Once a candidate is selected please have them complete the new hire packet. All official application documents are completed via DocuSign. This is provided from the supervisor to the candidate.
Hiring Paperwork (International Students including Canada)
- Obtain a social security card from the Social Security Administration Office
- Once the student obtains the SSN the new hire paperwork can be completed & sent to Human Resources
- Students are not authorized to begin work until the social security card has been authorized and all paperwork has been processed by the Human Resource Department.
- Have the hiring department complete the Authorization Form F-1/J-1 Form.
- The student needs to have the original copy of this letter. A scanned copy of the letter should be emailed to email@example.com. The Office of International programs will then assist the student with the Social Security Number application.
- All official application documents are completed via DocuSign. This is provided from the supervisor to the candidate.
International Applicant Documents
For questions pertaining to the hiring process please contact either the Office of Career Services, C404 at 248.204.3140 firstname.lastname@example.org or The Department of Human Resources 248.204.2151
Your New Student Assistant
LTU prides itself on providing employment opportunities to help students develop into professional individuals before they enter the workforce. Our student assistants are at times the first introduction to new students, employers, parents, and other individuals. Here are some helpful hints to assist you and your department in effortlessly transitioning a new hire into the most successful and efficient student assistant!
Before your student begins:
Contact the helpdesk to request permission for access to:
- Email composites
Outline a student schedule on a spreadsheet and provide a copy to all individuals in the department.
- Review the job description and essential duties.
- Tour the department introducing all department personnel.
- Explain policies and procedures and ensure student understands the confidentiality agreement.
- Provide a tutorial on all electronic devices and operating procedures.
Training Topics to Consider:
- Customer service
- Phone and email etiquette
- Message composition
- First impression presentation
The Office of Career Services provides many opportunities and events to develop students professionally. If you need assistance with training your student assistant please feel free to contact The Office of Career Services.
Office of Career Services, C404
Taubman Student Services Center
21000 West Ten Mile Road
Southfield, MI 48075-1058