Interview Information

This is my first interview with a student, what do I ask?

Inquire for the needs of your department. Ask questions such as 'Tell me about yourself', 'What degree are pursuing?' 'What hours and days are you available for work?' or 'What kind of experience do you have which may fit with this position?'

How do I find out if a student has work study and how much?

Ask the student if they are work study eligible. Work study is not required to work on campus. For verification of amount please contact Financial Aid

Is it legal to ask a student their status?

No, however you may ask 'Are you authorized to work in the United States?'. Students are not required to share their status information.

How do I create a Handshake account and post a student employment position?

    • Click on the Handshake logo on the Career Services Website at and select the "Employer login’ button
    • Click on "Need an Account"
    • Go through Registration process
    • Post position upon registration process

How long does it take for my account approval?

If you are a new employer registering, your account must be reviewed before the job posting is activated. This process takes approximately 24-48 hours during regular business hours.

How long does the job posting stay active?

You are able to set the launch date and the expiration date of the position.

When are RPAs required?

  • During the Fall Semester: a Request for Personnel Action form is required to hire or rehire student employees for the academic year only.
  • During the Summer Semester: a Request for Personnel Action form is required to hire or rehire student employees for the summer semester only.

What is the routing process for student RPAs?

  • For US Citizen or Permanent Resident: Hiring Department > Provost > Human Resources > Financial Aid
  • For International Student (including Canada): Hiring Department > Career Services > Provost > Human Resources

When are new hire packets required?

    A new hire packet is only required if the student has not worked for the University before or the gap in employment is 2 years or greater.

Hiring Forms

What paperwork is necessary to complete for hiring a student?

  • Student Employment Handbook (last page)
  • Student Employment Hiring Process
  • Application for Employment
  • Confidentiality Agreement
  • Federal (Form W-4)
  • State of MI (Form MI W-4)
  • Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
  • Payroll Direct Deposit (FA-1012)
  • Non-U.S. Citizen Employee Tax Assessment (international students only)

What authorization documentation does the student need to provide?

  • U.S. Citizen Documents
    • Social Security Card
    • Driver’s License
    • Voided Check
  • International Documents
      • I-94
      • DS2019 or I-20
      • Current Visa
      • Current Passport
      • Voided Check
      • Social Security Card (authorization letters required from supervisor and International Programs)

What part(s) of the hiring forms do supervisors complete?

    • Federal (Form W-4 (2015))
      • Box 8: supervisor signature and date
    • State of MI (Form MI W-4)Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
      • Box 9: supervisor signature and date
      • Box 10: Employer name, address phone number and name of contact person
      • Box 11: Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
      • Section 2: Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification
      • List A: I-94, Department of Homeland Security, Document Number, Expiration Date
      • Certification 

An international student needs assistance completing forms, where should I direct them?

International students can be direct to use the ‘Non-Residential Alien Tax Information and Tax Treaty Instructions’ document located on the LTU Career Services Student Employment webpage.