Dr. Chih-Hao (Justin) Ku
Buell Management Building M309A
Dr. Ku is an Assistant Professor in the College of Management (IT) at the Lawrence Technological University since August 2014. He was an Assistant Professor in the School of Information Technology at Middle Georgia State University (August 2012 – July 2014) and served as Executive Board of MGSC-Pi Beta Lambda and an advisor of Central Georgia Information Systems Security Association. Dr. Ku was also a software developer and instructor at institutions in Taiwan.
Dr. Ku received his M.S. and Ph.D. in Information Systems and Technology at Claremont Graduate University. He received his B.S. and M.S. degree in Information Management in Taiwan. His research interests lie in the areas of information systems, computer science, homeland security, business, psychology, social networks, and e-health. From a broad perspective, his research focuses on (1) how to apply Natural Language Processing (NLP) techniques to identify relevant information in digital reports, (2) how to turn a large volume of reports into useful and actionable knowledge for decision makers, and (3) how to apply visualization techniques to present a large amount of digital information. He is an active ACM, IEEE, ISSA, and AIS Member. He has published his work in the Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Government Information Quarterly (GIQ), Issues in Information Systems, and in conferences among others.
- Ph.D., Information Systems & Technology, Claremont Graduate University, 2012
- Natural Language Processing
- Data Mining, Text Mining, Web Mining
- Information Visualization
- Decision Support Systems
- Dr. Ku has taught courses including web development, web application development, e-commerce, database, management information systems, Visual Basic, and Java programming.
- Dr. Ku believes the purpose of attending a class is not merely to pass exams, but also to have brainstorming sessions through class discussions. In sports, a talented player wins games; teamwork wins championships. In IT industries, a talented employee accomplishes tasks; teamwork accomplishes successful projects under budget.
- Students may do nothing and obtain an easy A from him because of their strong prior knowledge. However, Dr. Ku likes students who experience extensive trials and errors but secure a tough A from him because of their strong learning attitudes and desires.
- "Visual Analytics for Crime Analysis and Decision Support," in Data Mining Trends and Applications in Criminal Science and Investigations, IGI Global (1st revision and under review), with Alicia Iriberri and Goutam Jane (Book Chapter)
- Ku, C.-H., & Leroy, G. (2014). A Decision Support System: Automated Crime Report Analysis and Classification for E-Government. Government Information Quarterly, 31(4), 534-544. (Impact Factor: 2.321)
- Yurov, K. M., Yurova, Y. V., Kwak, M., & Ku, C.-H. (2014). The Effect of Psychological and Environmental Factors on Academic Performance of Video Gamers. Issues in Information Systems, 15(2), 393-398.
- Ku, C. H.,Kwak, M., Yurov, K. M., & Yurova, Y. V. (2014). A Study of the Influence of Gaming Behavior on Academic Performance of IT College Students, The 20th Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS). Savannah, Georgia: Association for Information Systems.
- Ku, C. H.,& Leroy, G. (2013). Automated Crime Report Analysis and Classification for e-Government and Decision Support, Proceedings of the 14thInternational Conference on Digital Government Research (pp. 18-27). Université Laval, Québec, Canada.
- Ku, C. H.,Nguyen, J. H., & Leroy, G. (2012). TASC – Crime Report Visualization for Investigative Analysis: A Case Study. The 13th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration (IRI). Las Vegas, USA
- Ku, C. H.,& Leroy, G. (2011). A Crime Reports Analysis System to Identify Related Crimes. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 62 (8), 1533-1547. (Impact Factor: 2.230)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association of Information Systems (AIS)
- Information Systems Security Association (ISSA)