Projects II

Project update:

Over the past couple of months, we have created two different seats out of carbon fiber for the Formula Hybrid Car.

The first seat we made six layers of carbon fiber thick to make sure that it would be quite durable and able to handle anything that it would face when we were testing with the seat. Much to our surprise, it was much heavier than we had intended for it to be since one of our important factors was weight. After we did some initial testing we made a second seat that was only three layers thick which still allows it to have great strength while being much more light weight. Below there are a list of changes and types of testing that we have done which can all be viewed on the poster.


Dropped the layers of carbon fiber down from six to three to save on weight

Changed locations of the seat belt holes to better fit the drivers

Reduced the amount of material around the arms


Pressurestat Paper Testing

Solid Works Simulation Testing

Lateral Shift Testing (with and without the seat)


20150413_234819 20150413_234826

The images above are of the first seat that we made when placed into the car.

Semester Documents:


Midterm Report

Poster Presentation

Final Report

Blue Taste Theme created by Jabox