The Department of Natural Sciences is housed on the second and third floors of the Science Building at Lawrence Tech. This is a modern facility designed with the needs of the sciences at the forefront. Physics laboratories are on the second floor and chemistry laboratories are on the third floor. Faculty members usually have offices near their teaching labs. Some joint instrumental laboratory space is on the third floor.
The department is fully equipped with all the instrumentation needed for thorough training in all our major programs. A partial list of major equipment includes:
- X-ray diffraction apparatus
- Scanning electron microscope
- A variety of lasers, diffractometers and detection devices
- Digitizing, computer-compatible oscilloscopes
- Several visible-ultraviolet spectrometers
- Several infrared spectrometers, including Fourier transform devices
- Multiple gas chromatographs, some with automatic sampling and mass spectrometer detection
- High Pressure Liquid Chromatography facilities
- Fourier Transform Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectrometer
The department policy is to introduce advanced instrumentation at the earliest opportunity in a student’s education.