Department of Architecture
Mark Farlow is the Principal of Design with Hamilton Anderson Associates (HAA) in Detroit. HAA was the 2019-2020 AIA-MI Architecture Firm of the Year. From 1992-2014, he was the Principal with Victor Saroki & Associates (currently Saroki Architecture). Victor Saroki & Associates was the 2007 AIA-MI Architecture Firm of the Year.
His architectural design work in both firms has been recognized for awards from CNU, AIA-MI, AIA-Detroit, APA, NOMA, ASLA, MIM (M-Award), CAM, MIDEA, Detroit Design-139, and the Choice Neighborhood Initiative (HUD). He holds three separate architecture degrees from LTU and pursued his Master of Science in Architecture from the University of Cincinnati.
Professor Farlow has taught at several architecture schools aside from LTU including the University of Cincinnati (1982-1984); Mississippi State University (1984-1988); Plymouth Polytechnic, currently the University of Plymouth, UK (1988); University of Detroit Mercy (1999-2012); and, Ferris State University (2017). Professor Farlow has also reviewed graduate-level and undergraduate-level work at Bowling Green State University; Cranbrook Academy of Art; University of Cincinnati; Georgia Institute of Technology; Michigan State University; University of Maryland; The University of Michigan; University of Oklahoma; and Virginia Polytechnic.
Professor Farlow’s affiliations with LTU include:
• 1977-1978, student resident / docent, Affleck House (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright);
• 1977-1980, Co-editor / Founder of Architext (student-published design newsletter);
• 1981, Recipient, Masonry Institute of Michigan Scholarship;
• 1992-present, Guest studio critic (every semester);
• 1995-present, Adjunct Professor of Architecture;
• 2009 and 2010, Chairperson, CoAD Architectural Alumni Cabinet;
• 2009, 2010, 2018, Keynote Speaker, CoAD Graduation Honors Convocation;
• 2013, Recipient Teaching & Learning Using Technology (TLT) Award;
• 2014 and 2015, Keynote Speaker, LTU Open House for Prospective Students / Families;
• 2016, Recipient, Distinguished Architectural Alumni Award;
• 2016, Recipient, Henry B. & Barbara J. Horldt Teaching in Excellence Award;
• 2017, Recipient, The Ray Alumni Award;
• 2021-present, Professional Advisor of CoAD NOMAS Chapter;
• 2022, Member, True Blue Society / Guardian-Level (37-consecutive years) Alumni Donor.
Professor Farlow’s teaching assignments at LTU have included:
• Architectural Foundation Studio-2 (online)(with Professor Michael Harrison, RA)
• Architectural Foundation Studio-3 (online)(with Professor Sara Codarin)
• Architectural Foundation Studio-2 (online)
• Architectural Foundation Studio-3 (online)
• Comprehensive Design Studio (online)(with Professor Daniel Faoro, RA)
• Comprehensive Design Studio (online)(with Professor Ashraf Ragheb, RA)
• Advanced Design Studio 1 & 2 (online and on-campus)
• Architectural Thesis 1, 2, & 3 (online)
• Independent Study: Missing Middle Housing Development Model (online)
• Independent Study: Richard Sennett: Issues of Public Space (online)
• Practice Portfolio (online)
• Architecture Since 1966: The Challenge of Recent History
• Architectural Design-5 (with Professor Karl Greimel, FAIA)