The buildLab provides students and faculty of the College of Architecture and Design with the expertise, training and equipment necessary to experiment with materials and execute creative work.
The buildLab offers the following dedicated spaces:
- 2600 ft2 shop space focused on the processing and assembly of wood and plastics; it including both traditional wood shop and digital fabrication tools
- 250 ft2 Spray Room for the safe and proper application of paints, adhesives, and stains
- 630 ft2 Casting Room for the use of plaster, concrete, and hydrocal
The buildLab offers training in shop safety and etiquette, safe use of hand tools and small equipment, and instruction regarding file setup for digital fabrication.
A partial list of shop equipment available:
- Bench tools including table saw, band saws, drill press, circular miter saw, disk & belt sander, panel saw, planer, jointer, jigsaw, and bench-mounted router
- Electric hand tools including drills, sanders, routers
- Pneumatic hand tools including brad nailer
- Hot wire cutter for cutting foam for formwork
Digital fabrication equipment available:
- 60W CO2 laser, 32”x18” work area
- 3-axis CNC router, 48”x96” table surface
- 6-axis industrial robots with custom tooling
buildLab Fall 2022 Hours
Monday - Thursday 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The buildLab will give priority to CoAD classes at the following times:
Tuesday and Thursday 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday 11 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Occupancy is limited 18 students.
buildLab Contact Information
Manager, CoAD buildLab
text goes here