Lawrence Tech is excited to welcome you to campus, but the first step to arrival is to obtain your visa. Click here to see what the estimated wait time for your city according to the US Department of State. It is important to remember that a visa does not automatically guarantee admission into the United States.  There are two types of visas that Lawrence Technological University international students use to enter the United States:

F-1 Visa - Non Immigrant Student
To obtain an F-1, a student needs an I-20 issued by Lawrence Tech as evidence that you are accepted to be a student. The I-20 form is used to apply for an F visa at U.S. consulates and it is also required if you leave the US and need to re-enter. 

J-1 Visa - Non Immigrant Exchange Visitor
To obtain a J-1 Visa, a student needs a DS-2019 issued by Lawrence Tech. It works similarly to the I-20 in that it is needed to apply for a J visa at U.S. consulates abroad and is also required if you leave the U.S. and need to re-enter.

Both F-1 and J-1 students may bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the U.S. for the duration of time that they are studying at LTU, provided they are financially supported.

Applying for your visa

Upon receipt of your I-20 or DS-2019, you can begin the process of applying for your visa. The I-20 or DS-2019 are issued electronically with a digital signature from a Designated School Official(DSO). This will be emailed to you directly once it is issued.

Pay the I-901 Fee
You can pay your I-901 Fee (commonly referred to as the SEVIS fee) at Be sure to print your receipt to bring to your visa interview

Attend you visa interview
With your I-20 or DS-2019, and your I-901 receipt, you can apply for your visa. You will submit the online form, required documentation, and fee through the U.S. Department of State. You will then book a time for your interview, and meet with the consular officer.

Helpful Resources

There is a lot of important information to know about being an international student in the United States. The United States' government also has specific information that you should read before beginning the application process. 

  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States
  • U.S. Department of State: Obtaining a U.S. Visa
  • Education USA also has a vast collection of information for students interested in studying in the United States. They may even have an advising center near you where you can find out more about the steps to becoming a student in the United States.

Contact Us

We understand you are making big decisions and we are here to help you find the information you need. Email us. Text us. Call us. We are here for you.

Contact Us


A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center

Campus Map

Office Hours

Monday - Friday 
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Virtual Appointments
Monday, Thursday and Friday
8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Tuesday and Wednesday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Contact Us