Yes, Lawrence Tech has partnered with Language Center International (LCI) to offer ESL coursework to meet the English proficiency requirements at LTU.

It is University policy for all international students and scholars to carry medical insurance while they are studying in the United States.

According to federal law, off-campus employment is not permitted for students with J or F visas. However, two forms of practical training are available to international students close to completing their degree. Curricular Practical Training (CPT) has no time limit and may be available for students required to obtain practical experience by their degree program. CPT authorization requires that a student complete two full-time semesters (fall and spring) to be eligible to apply for CPT. Optional Practical Training (OPT) can be applied for three months prior to graduation and lasts for one year.

In some cases, international students are eligible to apply for on-campus employment opportunities. There are only a limited number of these positions each year and competition may be high, so students are discouraged from relying on-campus employment for funding.

No, international applicants are not required to submit the SAT or ACT score reports.

Yes, all materials relevant to your application must be submitted no later than 90 days prior to the start of the term. Applications received after the deadline may not be reviewed for the desired date of entry.

Average temperatures in Southfield are cold in the winter (16-33° F/-9-1 C) and hot (62-86° F/17-30 C) in the summer, so you should bring clothing to cover these ranges.

Current weather in Southfield, MI

The Obtaining a Visa portion of our website has detailed information about the requirements and process of applying for your visa.

LTU issues the I-20 to apply for F visa status (non-immigrant student) and the DS-2019 to apply for J visa status (non-immigrant exchange visitor). Most students applying to Lawrence Tech require an I-20 form for F visa status. For more detailed information, please look at the portion of our website about visas .

If your visa allows you to take classes, you can study at LTU. Individuals with visitor status (B-1, B-2, WB, WT) are not legally allowed to take classes in the US. If you are already in the US and would like to change your status to F-1 or J-1 to study at LTU, you need to fill out an I-539 form. Please note the status change from B-1 and B-2 visas is not supported by the Office of International Programs at Lawrence Tech.

If you have a green card, you need to complete the admission requirements for international students only if you took courses at a foreign college or university. Otherwise, you follow the regular admission requirements outlined on the application.

Yes, there will be some organized programs to help international students at LTU adjust to U.S. culture. The Office of International Programs plans events to help international students meet other students and learn about American culture while studying at Lawrence Tech.

Yes, Lawrence Tech has a group of advisors to help with the needs an international student might have. Stop by the Office of International Programs to find out more about the services provided, or visit their website: .

No, Lawrence Tech provides wireless laptops, and tablet PCs to all undergraduate students through our LTuZone. Students pay a deposit that is refunded upon return of the laptop. Graduate students can pay to lease a laptop if laptops are available.

Details on the procedures to apply for a Michigan Driver's License are available in the Office of International Programs . Students are not eligible to apply for a driver's license upon arrival and will need to wait a few weeks to be eligible to apply.

Classes begin the end of August for fall term, the beginning of January for spring term, and the beginning of May for summer term. You can look at the academic calendar for specific dates and deadlines.

Lawrence Technological University has partnered with Flywire to provide international students with an easy and secure method to make international payments. For an international funds transfer, you can make a wire transfer through Flywire at .

Contact Us

We understand you are making big decisions and we are here to help you find the information you need. Email us. Text us. Call us. We are here for you.

Contact Us


A. Alfred Taubman Student Services Center

Campus Map

Office Hours

Monday - Friday 
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Virtual Appointments
Monday, Thursday and Friday
8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Tuesday and Wednesday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Contact Us