What exactly is Student Government?
It offers an opportunity for students to better themselves and their University through involvement in campus activities. All interested students are encouraged to attend meetings and express their views. StuGov actively endorses all Lawrence Tech clubs and organizations that are beneficial to personal and scholastic achievement. This is done through Senators and other Elected positions in Student government (that represent the university as a whole) pertaining to colleges, student interests and areas of residency.
What is Student Government in a nutshell?
StuGov is the “middle man” between the faculty and students. As the active bridge between the students and administrative staff, StuGov’s goal is to foster a positive relationship with the faculty, university, and the greater community, in order to promote student responsibility. This is done through open discussion on university issues and propositions to foster our collegiate experience by serving the needs of students and student organizations.
How does it work?
The Student Government is composed of three interacting branches working in cooperation with each other; the Student Administration, Student Senate and Various Committees.
- Student Administration - The Student Administration consists of a president, vice president who are elected in a spring campus-wide election. After the election the new President and Vice President choose their Treasurer and Secretary.
- Student Senate - Members of the Student Senate include official representatives from each major college, student residency, and all university recognized organizations. Senators are the only voting members at Student Government meetings. All business concerning the Student Government is brought before the Student Senate each meeting.
- Various committees - The Student Government recognizes six official standing committees: Elections Committee, Honors and Awards Committee, Publications Committee, Judiciary Committee, Homecoming Committee, and Winterfest Committee.
What has Student Government Accomplished?
Each year, StuGov works to establish district resolutions to help bring about change on campus. Some of our accomplished resolutions are as follows:
- Establishing Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a school holiday.
- Moving forward on the initiative to transform Lawrence Tech into a 24-Hour Campus.
- Updating the “Guest-Pass” System in both North and South Housing.