Students who participate in service-learning are likely to continue to work all their lives in many different ways to improve the world around them, with lasting benefits for our country and our planet.
– Senator Edward M. Kennedy
Service Learning and Civic Engagement
Service Learning is an important component in leadership development. Many different leadership models-including Servant Leadership and the Social Change Model for Leadership-emphasize the importance of service learning and voluntarism as necessary to leadership development. Students are encouraged to participate in community service and volunteer work throughout their time at LTU so that they can record their activities on the Leadership Transcript.
How to Get Involved
- LTU Service Saturdays- Click here for the Fall 2015 Calendar and to register.
LTU Service Saturdays are volunteer events hosted by the Office of Student Engagement once or twice a month. We partner with local organizations to help out with their needs at that time. (These events satisfy service learning requirements in your Leadership courses.)
- Annual Volunteer Fair- Stay tuned for Fall date.
Students are able meet with 20+ local organizations who are eager to speak with them about how they can serve the community's needs. They will also be able to register to vote.
- Alternative Spring Break- Click here for more information.
Alternative Spring Break is a trip where a group of students engage in volunteer service for a week in or out of state during the university's spring break.
- Service in the Dominican- Click here for more information.
Students volunteer and immerse themselves in the culture during Spring Break on community development projects. Credit can be earned for LDR 2001- Leadership Models & Practices & LDR 3000- Leadership Seminar Series.
- Teach English in China- Click here for more information.
Volunteers spend 3-4 weeks in July teaching English to Chinese children and immersing into the culture with tours around Shanghai and surrounding cities. Credit can be earned for LDR 3000- Leadership Seminar Series.
- Local Volunteer Opportunities- Click here for a listing.
Check out these local opportunities or contact one of the many organizations in our community.
- Follow us on Social Media- Like us on Facebook- Lawrence Tech Office of Student Engagement , Follow us on Twitter & Instagram- @LTU_StuEngage
We post about all our events and opportunities as well as events and opportunities happenning in the community.
- Are you a member of a student organization that wants to host or partner on an upcoming project? Or a community agency that wants to collaborate? For more information, please contact us- firstname.lastname@example.org