1. A decision reached by the Student Discipline Committee or a sanction imposed may be appealed by the Accused Student(s) or Complainant(s) to the Discipline Appeals Committee within seven (7) school days of the decision. Such appeals shall be in writing and shall be delivered to the Dean of Students or designee.
2. Composition: The Discipline Appeals Committee is composed of three (3) members: (a) the Chair of the Faculty Senate; (b) the Assistant Provost for
Enrollment Management; (c) the President of Student Government.
3. Except as required to explain the basis of new information, an appeal shall be limited to review of the verbatim records of the Student Discipline Committee hearing and supporting documents for one or more of the following purposes:
a. To determine whether the Student Discipline Committee hearing was conducted fairly in light of the charges and information presented, and in conformity with prescribed procedures, giving the complaining party a reasonable opportunity to prepare and present evidence that the Student Code was violated, and giving the Accused Student a reasonable opportunity to prepare and to present a response to those allegations. Deviations from designated procedures will not be a basis for sustaining an appeal unless significant prejudice results.
b. To determine whether the decision reached regarding the Accused Student was based on substantial information; that is, whether the facts in the case that, if believed by the fact finder, were sufficient to establish that a violation of the Student Code occurred.
c. To determine whether the sanction(s) imposed were appropriate for the violation of the Student Code that the student was found to have committed.
d. To consider new information, sufficient to alter a decision, or other relevant facts not brought out in the original hearing, because such information and/or facts were not known to the person appealing at the time of the original Student Discipline Committee hearing.
4. If the Discipline Appeals Committee upholds an appeal, the matter may be returned to the original Student Discipline Committee for reopening of the Student Discipline Committee hearing to allow reconsideration of the original determination and/or sanction(s).
a. In cases involving appeals by students accused of violating the Student Code, the Discipline Appeals Committee may, upon review of the case, reduce but not increase the sanctions imposed by the Student Discipline Committee.
b. In cases involving appeals by persons other than the student(s) accused of violating the Student Code, the Discipline Appeals Committee may, upon review of the case, reduce or increase the sanctions imposed by the Student Discipline Committee.
5. Following the appeal, the Dean of Students shall advise the Accused Student(s) in writing of the determination of the Discipline Appeals Committee and of the sanction(s) imposed, if any. A copy of the notification will be retained in the student's disciplinary record. Cases involving University suspension, expulsion, or revocation or withholding of a degree will be filed in the student's academic record.