New KCP Initiatives: Lawrence Tech is proud to continue our partnership with the state of Michigan's King Chavez Parks (KCP) Initiative to expand support for students who are financially or academically at risk, non-traditional or first-generation, or from traditionally underserved populations. The program is named in honor of civil rights pioneers Martin Luther King, Jr., Cesar Chavez, and Rosa Parks.
The new grant expands the centerpiece of Lawrence Tech’s KCP grant, the Scholars Program, and introduces several new programs:
- Operation: MACRO (Math Achievement: A Culture of Relevance & Ownership), which combines drilled-based learning and discipline with creativity and practical applications. Students will learn how to take charge of their own math education.
- Operation: Science, which is designed to support students in gateway science courses utilizing the peer-driven supplemental instruction model developed at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Operation: CultureShock!, which introduces at-risk students to the active-collaborative and problem-based learning models necessary for success in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) courses.
- Operation: Internship, which connects at-risk students with internship opportunities early in their college careers and promotes the “soft skills” needed to flourish in the workplace.
- Operation: FLEX (Financial Literacy Education eXchange), which provides personal finance literacy education and mentoring.
- Operation: Enhanced Clinical Counseling, which helps students work with learning and emotional disabilities.
Expanding the Pipeline: Lawrence Tech will also develop partnerships with existing KCP programs at other universities:
- GEAR-UP/College Day Program at Oakland University and the University of Michigan-Dearborn, which helps middle school and high school students prepare for college.
- Future Faculty Fellows Program at Wayne State University, which provides support to graduate students who will teach at-risk students in the future.
History of Success: Past programs developed with KCP support inlcude the Arts and Sciences Undeclared Advising Program, Summer Connections, Multicultural Programs, The Academic Achievement Center, Academic Pre-Courses, Commuter Student Programs and Clinical Counselling Services.