news center

Lawrence Tech inaugurates Taubman Society for highest donors

Release Date: March 1, 2012

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – Lawrence Technological University has created the A. Alfred Taubman Society to recognize the highest level of philanthropy to the university.

The new philanthropic designation honors donors who have given outright gifts of cash, securities, real property and gifts-in-kind with a cumulative value of more than $5 million. Recognition is also given to donors who have a $10 million bequest or planned gift in their estate plan.

Taubman and his family provided the $4 million lead gift for the student services center named in his honor in 2006. Other gifts have put the cumulative giving of the Taubman family above $5 million.

In 2011, the family contributed $1 million and offered a $10 million challenge grant for the construction of the A. Alfred Taubman Engineering, Architecture and Life Sciences Complex. Construction is expected to start in 2014.

“The University’s relationship with Mr. Taubman has been a long, strong, and supportive one, and it gives us great pleasure to name the highest of our giving societies for this remarkable former student, business leader and longtime friend,” said Lawrence Tech President Lewis Walker.

In addition to Taubman and his family, the other inaugural members of the A. Alfred Taubman Society are Ed and Inez Donley and an anonymous donor. The members of the new society are being recognized at Lawrence Tech’s annual Winterlude dinner for major contributors on March 1 at The Henry Ford in Dearborn.

Lawrence Technological University, www.ltu.edu, is a private university founded in 1932 that offers more than 100 programs through the doctoral level in its Colleges of Architecture and Design, Arts and Sciences, Engineering, and Management. Students benefit from small class sizes and experienced faculty who provide a real-world, hands-on, “theory and practice” education. Activities on Lawrence Tech’s 102-acre campus include over 60 student groups and NAIA varsity sports.