Dr. Barbara Kouskoulas
Associate Professor Emerita
Phone (248) 204-3060
Barbara A. Kouskoulas is Associate Professor Emeritas of the College of Management at Lawrence Technological University. She received her Ph.D. in economics from Wayne State University in 1971 and was on the faculty at Lawrence Tech from 1991 until her retirement in December 2008.
Prior to starting her work at LTU, Dr. Kouskoulas taught various finance, accounting and economics courses at the American College of Southeastern Europe (in Athens, Greece), the Citibank Officer Training Center (in Athens, Greece), California State University (in Northridge, California), and Wayne State University (in Detroit, Michigan).
Her other professional experience has been divided between investment management in the Trust Investment Department of [the former] National Bank of Detroit and government service as a Senior Health Planner for Comprehensive Health Planning Council of Southeastern Michigan, a government agency responsible for overseeing capital expenditures by health facilities. Dr. Kouskoulas is a member of the Investment Analysts Society of Detroit, the North American Case Research Association, and the Society for Case Research. Midwest Business Economics Association.
Areas of Expertise
Recent Publications and Working Papers:
- Reviewer and discussant at the Midwest Business Administration Association in Chicago
- March 2002 - Frederick, Where Art Thou? (a case study on absenteeism)
- March 1999 - “Process Study for Applied Cultural Change in a State Governmental Agency Providing Services to People With Mental Retardation”
- March 1999 - “Analytical Approaches to Case Teaching”
- “The Impact of the Euro” working paper
- “The Privatization Process: Strategies for Success” working paper
- “Are Board Conflicts of Interest Inevitable?” Corporate Board, January 1998
- “The Newsprint Pulp Mill Project for Northern Greece” Proceedings of the North American Case Research Association Conference, 1994
- “Letter from Athens: Environmental Concerns” Public Health Comments, 1989
- “Substance Abuse Environment in Greece” Public Health Comments, 1988
- Papers discussed and reviewed:
- 2003 - Project Based Learning in an Interdisciplinary Economics and Mathematics Service Course
- 2003 - Cases in the Engineering Curriculum
- 2002- Free Trade Agreements Are Rarely Politically Viable in the Long Run
- 2001- Maori Small Business Growth and Development
- 2000-Quality and Productivity Improvement in the Noninvasive Cardiovascular Laboratory