Entering the US from Canada
Obtaining Your I-20
It is very important that you submit each of the following items in order for Lawrence Tech to issue you an I-20. All admission requirements must be completed and you must be admitted prior to an I-20 being issued.
- Foreign Address: You must submit your Canadian address as a requirement for SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). This demonstrates your connection with your home country.
- Documentation of Support: As an international student, you must submit a current bank statement in U.S. dollars as proof that you have sufficient funds to pay for an entire year of school at Lawrence Tech. You are permitted to have sponsors for the funding, but the sponsor(s) needs to submit his/her bank statement and a letter stating that he/she is willing to provide you with financial assistance. The amount of the bank statement for Commuter Canadian students needs to be:
- Undergraduate Architecture: $33,270
- Undergraduate Engineering: $33,120
- Undergraduate Arts & Sciences/Management: $30,270
- Graduate: $21,070
- Doctoral: $14,770
- Documentation of Support Verification: All international students submitting documentation of support will also need to submit this form. The form is available here.
Once we receive all of the above documents, we will process your I-20 within one week.
Once You Have Your I-20
After you receive your I-20, read it carefully and sign line 11. You must present the Form I-20, a valid passport (if you have one), and statements of financial support to the Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) official at the U.S. port of entry. At this time, you will also be required to give your Form I-901 and pay the SEVIS fee or present receipt of your Form I-901 and pre-payment online. The officer will stamp your I-20 and give you an I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Form. Please keep these forms with you whenever you cross the border.
You will be required to give the international student advisor proof of medical insurance and copies of your passport, stamped I-20, and I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Form upon your arrival to Michigan.