Dr. Ahad Ali
Assistant Professor and Director,
Dr. Ahad Ali joined Lawrence Technological University in 2007 as an Assistant Professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department. He earned B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT), Khulna (1994), Masters in Systems and Engineering Management from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2000) and Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (2003).
Prior to coming to LTU Dr. Ali worked with the University of Puerto Rico – Mayaguez in Industrial Engineering as Assistant Professor. He was a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Toledo from August 2004 to December 2005. He was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Intelligent Manufacturing Systems (IMS) Centre, University of Windsor, Canada from April – August 2004. He was a faculty member (Lecturer) in Mechanical Engineering at the Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT), Khulna from 1995 - 1997.
Dr. Ali received Outstanding Professor Award, Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, 2005-2006.
His areas of interest and expertise are manufacturing systems modeling, simulation and optimization, reliability, web-enabled monitoring, lean manufacturing, artificial intelligence, scheduling, logistics and supply chain management. He has got funding from DTE Energy, United Technologies, Thermo King and Amgen Manufacturing. Dr Ali has done research projects with Chrysler, Ford, DTE Energy, Delphi Automotive System, GE Medical Systems, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, International Truck and Engine Corporation (ITEC), National/Panasonic Electronics, and Rockwell Automation. Dr. Ali has done research project at the Engineering Research Center (ERC) for Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor on designing a reconfigurable assembly line to accommodation different category Rockwell Automation power drive products including new products. He has done research projects on web-enabled e-maintenance platform to integrate the real time shop floor information with existing e-business systems and developed testbeds at Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Citation Custom Products, and GE Medical systems. He has done MRO (Maintenance, Repair, and Operation) lean supply chain project with Harley-Davidson Motor Company for optimal MRO inventory level. He has successfully completed a simulation project at the University of Windsor on automotive manufacturing assembly for the whole assembly plant to identify the performance including logistics for new location. Dr. Ali has done research on intelligent modeling and management for internal supply chain management for hard disk drive (HDD) and printed circuit board (PCB) assembly systems and enhanced the system performances at Delphi Automotive Systems and National/Panasonic Electronics. His research has been published in peer-reviewed journals and conferences. His selected journal publications are given below:
• A. Ali, H. Seifoddini, and J. Lee, Efficient Material Allocation in High-Mix Low-Volume Manufacturing, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 9, No. 2 (2010), pp. 1-16.
• W. Moir, and A. Ali, Conveyor Stop for Quality Simulation Analysis, Journal of Modelling and Simulation of Systems, 2010, in press.
• Q. K. Hassan, A. Ali, N. Sekhon, and X. Wang, Analysis of Potential Wind and Solar Energy at Selected Airport Locations in Canada, Int. J. of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Accepted.
• A. Pandian and A. Ali, A Review of Recent Trends in Machine Diagnosis and Prognosis Algorithms, Int. J. of Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications, Accepted.
• D. Shetty, A. Ali, and R. Cummings, A Model to Assess Lean Thinking Manufacturing Initiatives, Int. J. of Lean Six Sigma, Accepted.
• V. Cook, and A. Ali, Using net present value methods to evaluate quality improvement projects, Int. J. of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol. 27 No. 3, pp. 333-350,.2010.
• D. Shetty, and A. Ali, A Model for the Total Productive Manufacturing Assessment and Implementation, J. of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol.8, No. 2, pp. 1-20, 2009.
• A. Pandian and A. Ali, Automotive Robotic Body Shop Simulation for Performance Improvement using Plant Feedback, Int. J. of Industrial and Systems Engineering (in press).
• M. Khadem, A. Ali and H. Seifoddini, Efficacy of Lean Metrics in Evaluating the Performance of Manufacturing System, Int. J. of Industrial Engineering - Theory, Applications and Practice, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 176-184, 2008.
• A. Ali, Z. Chen and J. Lee, Web-enabled platform for distributed and dynamic decision making systems, Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1260-1270, 2007.
Dr. Ali is a member of several engineering societies: IIE, SME, IEEE, INFORMS. He is serving as President of IIE Lean Division, 2009 - 2011 and leading IIE Lean Student Paper Competition since 2007. He has served in many technical committees: Program Chair, 2011 IEOM Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Program Chair, 2010 IEOM Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Technical/Program Chair, International Conference on Smart Manufacturing and Industrial Systems, Trinidad, West Indies, 2011, Co-Chair, Lean Systems Track, IIE Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 17 -21, 2008, Program Committee - The IFIP TC8 International Conference on Research and Practical Issues of Enterprise Information Systems, October 14-16, 2007, Beijing, China, Technical Committee Member - Semiconductor Manufacturing Automation, IEEE Robotics & Automation Society, Program Committee, Local Organizing Committee & Cluster Chair (Industry-Research Interface) - INFORMS International Puerto Rico 2007, July 8-11, 2007, Conference Secretary - 5th International Conference on Managing Innovations in Manufacturing, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 9-11, 2002, etc. Dr. Ali is also serving in editorial board of different journals: Editors: Special Issues of International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IJISE), 2010, Co-Editor of First Issue of International Journal of Logistics and Transportation Research (IJLTR), Editorial Board Member: Global Journal of Enterprise Information, 2009 – Present, Editorial Board: International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems (IJORIS), 2008 - Present.
Dr. Ali is serving as Faculty Advisor for SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers) Student Chapter and Engineers Without Borders.
Personal Web Page