Ahad Ali, PhD
21000 West Ten Mile Road
Engineering Building, E37
Southfield, MI 48075
Phone: (248) 204-2531
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- M., Systems and Engineering Management, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT), Khulna
Courses and Advising
- Director, Master of Science in Industrial Engineering program
- Faculty Advisor, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Student Chapter
- Faculty Advisor, Engineers Without Borders.
- Manufacturing systems modeling
- Simulation and optimization
- Lean manufacturing
- Reconfigurable assembly line for different category power drive products
- Web-enabled e-maintenance platform to integrate the real time shop floor information with existing e-business systems and developed testbeds
- A. Ali, H. Seifoddini, and J. Lee, Efficient Material Allocation in High-Mix Low-Volume Manufacturing, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 9, No. 2 (2010), pp. 1-16.
- W. Moir, and A. Ali, Conveyor Stop for Quality Simulation Analysis, Journal of Modelling and Simulation of Systems, 2010, in press.
- Q. K. Hassan, A. Ali, N. Sekhon, and X. Wang, Analysis of Potential Wind and Solar Energy at Selected Airport Locations in Canada, Int. J. of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Accepted.
- A. Pandian and A. Ali, A Review of Recent Trends in Machine Diagnosis and Prognosis Algorithms, Int. J. of Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications, Accepted.
- D. Shetty, A. Ali, and R. Cummings, A Model to Assess Lean Thinking Manufacturing Initiatives, Int. J. of Lean Six Sigma, Accepted.
- V. Cook, and A. Ali, Using net present value methods to evaluate quality improvement projects, Int. J. of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol. 27 No. 3, pp. 333-350,.2010.
- D. Shetty, and A. Ali, A Model for the Total Productive Manufacturing Assessment and Implementation, J. of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol.8, No. 2, pp. 1-20, 2009.
- A. Pandian and A. Ali, Automotive Robotic Body Shop Simulation for Performance Improvement using Plant Feedback, Int. J. of Industrial and Systems Engineering (in press).
- M. Khadem, A. Ali and H. Seifoddini, Efficacy of Lean Metrics in Evaluating the Performance of Manufacturing System, Int. J. of Industrial Engineering - Theory, Applications and Practice, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 176-184, 2008.
- A. Ali, Z. Chen and J. Lee, Web-enabled platform for distributed and dynamic decision making systems, Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1260-1270, 2007.
Activities and Service
- Member, IIE
- President of IIE Lean Division, 2009 - 2011
- Leads IIE Lean Student Paper Competition, 2007 - present
- Member, SME
- Member, IEEE
- Member, INFORMS
- Technical committees:
- Program Chair, 2011 IEOM Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Program Chair, 2010 IEOM Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Technical/Program Chair, International Conference on Smart Manufacturing and Industrial Systems, Trinidad, West Indies, 2011
- Co-Chair, Lean Systems Track, IIE Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 17 -21, 2008
- Program Committee - The IFIP TC8 International Conference on Research and Practical Issues of Enterprise Information Systems, October 14-16, 2007, Beijing, China
- Technical Committee Member - Semiconductor Manufacturing Automation, IEEE Robotics & Automation Society
- Program Committee, Local Organizing Committee & Cluster Chair (Industry-Research Interface) - INFORMS International Puerto Rico 2007, July 8-11, 2007
- Conference Secretary - 5th International Conference on Managing Innovations in Manufacturing, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 9-11, 2002, etc
- Editorial boards
- Editors: Special Issues of International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IJISE), 2010
- Co-Editor of First Issue of International Journal of Logistics and Transportation Research (IJLTR)
- Editorial Board Member: Global Journal of Enterprise Information, 2009 – Present
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems (IJORIS), 2008 - Present